GPZ 7000 Too Much For A Beginner?

DXBDave

Mastering some basics is good but panning, dredging and hard rock mining do not actually give you a leg up on learning to detect well. Dry washing may help some because it depends on the same kind of geologic knowledge that detecting involves. But especially learn the geology of the gold areas you intend to work in. Then learn the detector.

Other basics that are not mentioned too often are patience, the ability to concentrate, developing a perfect ground balancing routine and consistent, correct coil technique. 

• Like 7

DXB,my brother was a total new comer to nugget hunting ,his first detector was a 7000 he mastered it in no time with some help from fellow 7000 user's and there is no stoping him now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If money is not a issue then i guess getting the best would be seen as a wise move,'but' on its own a detector does nothing,even if you switch it on it still nothing,it wont find any more gold because you have the best machine on the planet,its the skill and knowledge of the operator that makes it works its magic and not the detector.A skilled operator would be able to operate and find gold with even a very cheap detector.

What i would say is that if you are at the pinnacle of gold nugget hunting then i would totally agree that the best tools for the job would be the GPX,GPZ and SDC,but just by buying the best tool for the job does not take you too the pinnacle of nugget hunting.

I dont mind holding my hand up and saying that i dont have a clue about hunting for gold in its original form,and i really admire the folks on this forum 'who' are at the pinnacle of the game,but its not instant success for them,its been learnt over many years in some cases decades for them,my forte is more towards pasture and farm land and i of course use the best machines and tactics for here in the UK,which once again has taken me a long time to lern.

What ever machine option you choose i wish you all the best in this superb pastime of ours.

• Like 1

I posted about my brother and his learning curve with the 7000 it took him about 3 weeks to get the hang of the machine with me and the guys at AZO  also Condor's help and reading posts on this site he is well on his way to finding gold . here are some of his finds

IMG_5857.JPG

• Like 1

Get the 7K and go for it----

I like to talk with every other user and see how they use the detector in their particular areas--

There are different ways to set up this machine  and that someone in another part of the country may like totally different settings that the last place you were  detecting----

Using AU settings in some places of NorCal may not be as productive as it is there..and as big as AU is, i am certain that there is no ONE setting that works all over.

But i remember what Lucky said once, "You can't mess up the settings on this machine!  If you go low and slow ---you will find gold .......... (if it is there.")

• Like 1

I've been really surprised in the difference running Normal on the GPZ makes. Since I got my replacent detector I've been revisiting some spots I pretty much exclusively ran in Difficult. I guess after taking a summer break from detecting for a little bit my ear doesn't mind the ground noise from Normal. A few days ago I dug a deep, fat nail down in about 12" of clay in an old patch that wouldn't even give off a response in Difficult.