Back In The Game, Thanks Y'all

32 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

The Doc was impressed but not surprised, as soon as the shoulder popped back together, it stopped hurting. By Wednesday I could lift my arm to shoulder height, and it was almost pain free today. He was as old and maybe a little older than me, but he was well informed with newer treatment. Told me the sling they give you is old school, that it is better to use it as much as possible as soon as possible. If you're older... But not lifting weights above the shoulder, or playing football or basketball. Digging is a "hunched" procedure, perfectly acceptable.

I'm wondering if there's a fully composite shovel out there that is as strong as it is light. 🤔 Titanium is kinda expensive.

Not sure about the shovel but it would be a game changer....If you find one let us know. Glad that you are better!

Glad to see that you are doing much better and I hope that you still do some exercises to strengthen your muscles.

You never know just how much better you will feel when you do.

Nice finds and glad your back, good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Quite the opposite, the first stuff came from there, some colonial buttons, a few musket balls, and a WW1 service button. 😀 And a ton of construction crap 🤣

Cider Vinegar has been my friend for a while now after a long day in the fields or on the beach. That and ibuprofen. 🤔

I feel better the more I do it, not less 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

WTF!!! Did you give up the spinach habit Popeye?

F57E1DB2-6B68-427A-8675-6976ED455FF7_4_5005_c.jpeg.2988c670312eb1e118497992256ce67f.jpeg

• Haha 2

Way to go, F350! I knew it couldn't keep you down long and you're back with a bang! Congrats on the cool new finds, well done!! 😄

If you're looking for a lighter shovel, consider this one:

https://a.co/d/j2iWKYg

I got both, Nomad and the Nomad Spade, which they used to market as the Root Slayer Metal Detecting Spade. The Nomad spade is a beast of a dirt cutter, but it weighs 5 lbs, so I used the regular Nomad which weighs only 2.5 lbs and I love it. It's my go to relic shovel and it very tuff. I haven't been able to break it yet and not for lack of trying. 😉

Glad you're back, amigo! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Real glad to hear your out swinging again. I know little about the pain with a dislocated shoulder. I'm 68 and used to race Downhill bicycle in the 50+ expert. 

• Thanks 1

Bob,

Glad you healed up fast digging buddy.  The rain today is going to further help with your digging ability.  Those fields were turning into concrete.  Congrats on the keyhole escutcheon and IHP.  Not a bad “return” at all.

The problem with a “light” but strong shovel is that you lose the mass of the shovel distributed along the shaft that actually aids in digging because the force of gravity against that mass helps the blade penetrate and move the dirt better without having to exert as much muscle force.  It can also supplement muscle power in leverage.  I typically use all steel shovels for field work as a result.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Way to go, F350! I knew it couldn't keep you down long and you're back with a bang! Congrats on the cool new finds, well done!! 😄

If you're looking for a lighter shovel, consider this one:

https://a.co/d/j2iWKYg

I got both, Nomad and the Nomad Spade, which they used to market as the Root Slayer Metal Detecting Spade. The Nomad spade is a beast of a dirt cutter, but it weighs 5 lbs, so I used the regular Nomad which weighs only 2.5 lbs and I love it. It's my go to relic shovel and it very tuff. I haven't been able to break it yet and not for lack of trying. 😉

Glad you're back, amigo! 😎

Thanks Cap'n,

Nice to be able to go less than 100 yards and find anything 🤣 That field has potential, early on I had my eyes on the prize and just hunted the house site that was machine gun crap. Didn't find much.

But, I've learned that you find the best stuff where you don't expect it, a lot gets dragged out of the area, and stuff happens elsewhere in a farm. I'll be thrilled if some silver turns up. 🤞

Discovered a fence line that has iron bits but also relics from when it was installed and walked, or maybe they had a horse. 😈 The problem is neighbors that let their dogs ruin amok. 🤬

I'll give the Root Slayer a thought, I've also had great advice from Valens Legacy and now Chase too 🙂 if I can get the kinks out of my arm muscles and tendons I'll probably stick with my trusty Predator, but that shovel looks good! 👍 And who doesn't need a new toy. 😀

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kentucky Steve said:

Real glad to hear your out swinging again. I know little about the pain with a dislocated shoulder. I'm 68 and used to race Downhill bicycle in the 50+ expert. 

Thanks Kentucky, and welcome to the forum! I'm onea the more prolific posters, I think my whole detecting career is here. 🤣 And I wouldn't be anywhere else, this forum is the best there is by a longshot.

I'll be looking for your exploits, from all accounts the Legend is a great machine. 👍 Get out there and duck when the hunters are around. It's prime time! I'd hate to have thunk I'd have to endure an extended hiatus. A week I can handle. 🤔 For the first time since I got old, I'm glad I did 😎