GPX 6000 Manual Vs Auto Preference

Dutchman4

Now that there are many man hours on the GPX 6000 by experts, I would like to know opinion or field experience of using Manual gain vs Auto or Auto+?

I remember reading somewhere that the Auto settings can result in a higher effective gain result than even Manual 10 (max) but I dont know if this is a fact or just an opinion.

I have mostly used Auto from the beginning but wanted to know what other use and under what conditions.

• Like 1

I agree with Phrunt. GPX 6000 manual 8 to 10 allowed me to adjust sensitivity and ground balance for my ground conditions instead of trusting some AI in the GPX 6000 to adjust sensitivity and ground balance on the fly and hopefully get it right and keep up with changing conditions while using Auto+.

• Like 5

I mostly use manual (threshold always on). Auto appears less stable for me most of the times. Re manual, don't be afraid of reducing gain if needed. It will remain very sensitive with only a marginal loss at depth. I like 7 or 8 in Normal. It then will get nice and smooth, so nice for a change. And I never had a single case where I heard a signal at 10 but not at 7 or 8. 🙂

GC

• Like 6

Agree with others. Another issue I found with the auto setting on the 6000 is that it appears to "remember" past auto adjustments beyond the point of time those adjustments were needed. And you have no way of knowing what it's currently set to. For instance if you hit some massive iron, leave your coil over it, it will back off the sensitivity. Sometimes it adjusts back quickly, other times it takes longer, and in one case where I was testing that phenomenon in air it simply never readjusted, even after turning off and back on! I was suspecting for a while it was doing this while detecting highly variable ground too - going from magnetite saturated soils to regular soil (stream banks/bottoms, etc), and the machine was desensitizing itself and staying that way. 

It also appears to adjust sensitivity based on varying EMI conditions too, but I'm not 100% positive on that. 

It's impossible to know what's happening, and it seems to have a mind of it's own, it's hard for me to get some measure of repeatability to say anything specific. There is no graphical readout displaying the current settings in Auto either, so who knows.

And I alllllmost suspect it's doing this same adjusting to a lesser degree in Manual too. In fact, I was confident that was happening to some degree last year, but I forget exactly why I drew that conclusion now. I think this is part of what "Geosense" is. 

That said - I use the 6000 for 90% of my detecting now, and I'd say most of that time I still use Auto+. For general exploration it's just not required to try to catch everything, and most the targets are easy targets anyways. So, I just use the quietest, fastest method, and that is Auto+. If you are reworking patches or small areas though, Manual would be the way to go.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Phrunt, as we both live on the South Island of New Zealand, I at the top end & he towards the bottom end. Our ground being very mild I too favoure manual 10 over the Auto settings, threshold on & usually get away with full max sensitivity but not always.

D4G

• Like 2

It's always great to hear from you JP.

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks, JP. I usually use max/manual but don't shy back reducing gain and enjoy the smoother threshold if I know the gold is shallow. I have tried Auto as my first line of defense when manual/max get's too unstable, but found that reducing gain is often the better option. Good to know that in auto the gain can be increased, even though the gain was already at max or close to max in manual. I wonder though why the Auto algorithm would not notice that the gain is already too high (probably the main reason for instability if everything else is optimized as good as possible) and reduce, rather than dialing up. But for sure, a lot is going on under the hood and thanks for your detailed explanation. Love my NF 12x7, hardly ever change it. Same for my Zsearch 12.  😁

GC

• Like 1