Circle Of Friends...

...is what keeps us going, Golden Friends...
We enjoy being around like minded folks. We share with our friends to help make each better at what we do when together. Friends are important in many ways and on a rare occasion, we need help from a friend. A friendship goes both ways and especially with a gold hunting friend. There's times when we need them and or they need us, a friend. 
My last Field Training trip for customers in Nevada for 2023 was memorable for a variety of reasons. I managed to get away before the start of class to do some detecting with friends and to compare coils/detectors when chasing gold nuggets. Having friends to compare undug signal response is a great way to learn.
On a particular day one of my Nevada Friends and I were hunting older productive sites trying to scrape up a few nuggets missed by old technology detectors and while doing so we discovered the exact same site some of my other friends recently hunted. Alaska Steve from Nevada, Condor Steve from NV was there with Andrew from Utah doing a video sharing Manticore knowledge for all of us members across the world on Detector Prospector, for our friends. 
Anyways, about 30' from their campfire ring my NV buddy makes an incredible discovery.  He hollers at me about his find and so I start walking towards his direction to investigate what's got him so excited.  Now I know how hard this area has been detected previously for many yrs so I'm sure it's not a big gold nugget. I'm actually thinking an old coin or trade token from the Depression era as that's when many people were camped near by.
During the Depression, many folks had no job, no money and no place to live. It was said that people from across the country and states flocked the area trying to find enough gold to make ends meet. We were detecting such site and quite a bit of old-timer trash was around. 
As I walk up to my buddy, he explains his Nugget of a find and holds out a fat weather worn brown leather wallet. What's even more amazing is the wallet is stuffed with cash. 
We eagerly go through it and see the driver's license, hotel card keys, credit cards, a piece of paper with what looks to be passwords, a card from a college university, photos and more. Interestingly was a pair of GPAA Membership cards. This must be why a stranger from Indiana was in the Northern Nevada gold fields, he was doing what the rest of us enjoy, looking for gold and probably with Friends. 
Well the $151 in cash and all of someone's personal credentials didn't help us find gold that day, but we did find a friend. Of coincidence this friend from Indiana just so happened to be in Nevada with another gold hunting friend back in June of this year when he lost his wallet. 
Detector Prospector is what I consider a friendly site. We enjoy sharing our detector experiences, sharing our thoughts on detecting gear, showing a few nuggets on occasion and sometimes making new friends.
It's amazing that everyone I mentioned in this little story in one way or another, are friends and just like near 100 yrs earlier, we all had the urge to congregate to that Sawtooth area in search of gold.
Would you believe each of us is also a member of the best Prospecting/Metal Detecting Knowledge site on the net, even the friend who lost his wallet.
Yes Detector Prospector, you are indeed a Friendly Site and brings us together for a variety of golden reasons.
Chuck from Indiana, you know you're gold hunting friends have your back. For you my friend....and the rest of you on DP reading this....You're in my circle...the circle of Friends.
Merry Christmas my Friends.
PS, Sitting in a rainstorm in Cancun trying to type this up on my phone.  Sorry for any errors and hopefully my Friends will forgive me. 

IMG_3580.jpeg

20231026_064028.jpg

15 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Sorry it’s raining on you Gerry!  Erin and I got back 2 weeks ago!

I know how Erin thinks...🤔. Remember my friend, we've had a few meals together.  So I won't ask outright, but did you make any cool finds. 😎 

That's really cool, I find wallets all the time at the ski fields, I zoom down and hand them in to the lefties hoping they make their way back to the owner, I guess I'm putting trust in lift operators that come from all around the world to follow the winter but the way I see it the wallet has more chance getting back to them that way than me holding onto it.  They have a lost & found that they go into so if people ask, they should get them back.

The way I see it is if I lost my wallet, I'd be so happy if someone handed it in and I was able to get it back, so I do the same.  Good on you Gerry and the finder of the wallet for ensuring the owner received it back.

Chuck (GB_Amateur) is a great guy and friend. I hope he sees this. Amazing. Such a small world in so many ways. Thanks for the recovery of his wallet and the great post Gerry.

@GB_Amateur was one lucky guy to have such good friends to return it to him and the story is that much cooler now I know who the person was that lost it.  

Beatup- YES our Community is tighter than we realize at times.

phrunt - Doing the right thing is earning Karma when we go detecting.  Well done my friend. Yes to realize it was one of our own, just makes it that much better.  

Jeff - Chuck has been a long-time repeat customer of mine.  Even if he was a customer from a friendly competitive dealer, we still would have done the same. Yes our Circle of Friends is good.

That has to be the save of the year, Gerry!

I was out with Chuck when he lost the wallet. Between the two of us we spent hours looking for it. He of course tried to look everywhere he had been, and I tried to look everywhere I had seen him. Still when all was said and done turns out he had been farther up the hill than he had thought, so it did not get found by us. But I told him at the time, just wait, it will get found. It’s amazing how every foot of ground out there is getting eyeballed by people over the course of the year. And why nuggets are getting rare as we are all going over the same places repeatedly. Nice story Gerry, thanks.