1st Time Out In A While

I've mostly been fishing and tinkering with other things.  But yesterday I had a really bad day...had to put down one of our pets and that wasn't a fun experience to say the least.  I needed some time to just get away and clear my head so I grabbed the detector that evening and went to a small Civil War camp or picket post not far from my house to hunt about an hour before dark.  This particular spot has been sort of rare in that we have found several war Era silver coins on it in the past. I know of 3 seated dimes, and a half dime that has came from it.  One of the seated dimes came from there earlier this year.  In fact, I had hunted it several times since then and hadn't found anything at all.  I was using the Nox 900 in Field 2 mode.  It was looking to be another busted hunt.  I had dug a deep memorial cent that I just knew was gonna be a minie ball but nope.  And that was it.  Walking back to the truck I got a repeating 50s signal and popped a plug.  It was about too dark to see...but I saw I had a silver disc but the size was throwing me off for what it was. I put it in my case and filled my hole and went home. All I knew about it was, it was a holed coin of some sort.  When I got it home...I saw it was paper thin and wore slab out.  But right beside the hole...was all I needed to ID it.  I believe it to be a 1/2 reale.  Those do NOT come often in East Tennessee.  I was a little in shock!  I figure probably a Carlos III but whatever the case...it is most certainly my oldest coin to date.  And I didn't even know what I had til I got it home.  It was a nice ray of sunshine to a rather bad day.

Here it is about 30 seconds after coming out of the ground...and then about 30 minutes later when I got it home.  I almost think I can see more details with it dirty.  20231213_174848.thumb.jpg.0c5673facc3ddf1d3a0f139e94860752.jpg20231213_180322.thumb.jpg.1f147aa31935e6a073e5aa8bfd31ada4.jpg

Really sorry to hear about the dog.....I am dreading that day when it comes.

I'm always amazed how detecting helps soothe the soul or takes your mind off troublesome matters.

HH

Tony

So sorry for your loss, but just remember that he will wait at the Rainbow Bridge for you to see him again.

Great hunting skills on the finds and glad you were able to save them.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

It's so hard to lose a pet, my condolences Daniel Tn.

Maybe the 1/2 Reale was a reminder of all that's still good in the world. That's an awesome find regardless, so congrats on the Spanish silver, well done! 😎

Great find Daniel, and also feel ya on the pet. Still not over a few of mine, got a new buddy tho. 🙂 For me and my wife especially, he keeps her company while I'm out detecting. I am glad she agreed to find another.

A smooth half Reale is better than no Reale, a lucky and fascinating find. They should be everywhere, Spanish silver was used as currency in the USA until around the 1850s. 👍 and no doubt thereafter!

Thanks yall.  

It was actually one of our goats and not a dog...but they follow me around like a dog would.  Actually...this picture here is what I was thinking of when I was hunting the other day.  This was when he was just little...following me around while I was detecting in their field.  He would always do that when I was down there. Screenshot_20231216_102116_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0922d177f8dc2d7b3352be04da8f607d.jpg