I have only been able to use the AQ on the beach for about an hour.  With the original headphones I struggled to hear the differences that the Masters of the AQ talk about.  I could hear the double beep on the rusty steel, but the ramp up and ramp down and the soft edges vs the defined edges, I just could not hear it.  Then when I went home I tested targets for hours.  Pennies, nickels, quarters, screws, bolts, tent stakes, copper rings, silver rings, platinum rings, gold class rings, tiny engagement rings.........etc, but I could not hear much difference.  I assumed that I was going deaf and scheduled an appointment with the Audiologist for January.

Today for the first time, I put a set of custom homemade headphones onto the AQ and let me tell you what a difference it makes.  The ramp up ramp down was all there.  The sound chop off when the coil was leaving a ring was so distinct you could tell with your eyes closed if the object was a ring or a nickel.  It was my wax on wax off moment.  Really excited to take it next week to the beach and see if the backyard transfers onto the beach.

I want to sincerely thank the forum members who have been so generous with their knowledge, experience and recommendations.  Merry Christmas to all and a safe and Healthy 2024.

• Like 5

This set I am using, Tony Eisenhower made for me.  Tony@idigbeaches.com. I am working on a non-waterproof set with JBL headphones that I hope to have done before I leave for the beach next week.  It will be an interesting experiment to see what works best on the wet sand, because there is no way I am going into the water in January.  I can honestly say that Tony's headphones are superior to the stock headphones that came with my AQ.

It really surprised me how much a quality pair of headphones helps a metal detector perform.  I see it in the Tarsacci and I am now seeing it in the AQ. 

Isn't it amazing that we spend $$$$ on a metal detector and stick with the free pair of headphones that came with the detector.

• Like 4

Yes, Killer Bs made all the difference on the Tarsacci for me. Glad you’ve made a breakthrough on the AQ.

• Like 1

Tony Makes some great head phones for sure, I tested a set of Tony's with the AQ, see if I can find the pictures and numbers. I know they were better than the stock ones by several db's on the audio. Will be interesting to see how the JBL's work for you to, I'm always open to new ideas and tricks. The AQ has so much information to offer in the audio. Great to see your playing and learning the AQ, sure helps when it comes time to find those deep golds and silvers.

Also, Thank you again for the gift! Good luck on your adventure! Keep us informed! 

Merry Christmas and a Health 2024 for all..

• Like 2

Joe,

The JBL's have noise cancelling built into the headphones, but you can turn the noise cancelling on or off.  My thought is if the noise cancelling works on wind and wave noise, but allows the AQ audio to come thru, they will really be a killer set on the beach.  Then use the JBL's on the beach and Tony's in the water.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Stalker said:

you could tell with your eyes closed

Now your talking!

A good bit of the time, once I'm in a pattern in the water, and the water is somewhat calm, I hunt with my eyes closed.. specially in areas you know holds deep faint targets..........once your vision is gone seems your hearing senses are enhanced, and there are less distractions? And that is with both the AQ and Xcal, in All metal. 

NOise cancel sounds interesting, years ago I "almost" went for a set but they were like 250.?  These were the ones used at Nascar races and this was around 2012. I bet they have come a long ways, quality and price wise. I tried several combos on trying to hide the ocean noise, I did "Fair?" with the wave action but the crashing of the waves, no luck. Now i was able to remove "most" of the wind noise..wearing a hoodie over the head phones ....Keep us informed...

Also the only issue I ever seen with Tony's phones over the years was the micro small screws that hold the over head band supports in place, they will rust in saltwater. (They lock in the cross over wire) So you may want to dab a small amount of something like fingernail polish on them to keep them from rusting. And those are the MSA L/R model. 

When is your trip?

• Like 1

I emailed Tony and he has two options now for his headphones:

One is adding drain holes for guys that really soak them underwater.  Drains easier.

Second is an "high efficiency" option that results in more volume.  Stalker, do you have any thoughts on these options?

Is the AQ audio drive intended only for piezo loads?

• The title was changed to The Aq's New Hearing Aids

BK,

I went with the High Efficiency model.  My thought was I would never be deeper than my nipples so the headphones should never be submerged.  They are really nice.  Block out most of the wind and wave noise and are much better than the set that came with the AQ.  I really have no idea on the piezo question.  Running Black Widow headphones on the Deus 2, Killer B's on the Tarsacci and Tony's on the AQ.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 8:20 PM, The_Stalker said:

BK,

I went with the High Efficiency model.  My thought was I would never be deeper than my nipples so the headphones should never be submerged.  They are really nice.  Block out most of the wind and wave noise and are much better than the set that came with the AQ.  I really have no idea on the piezo question.  Running Black Widow headphones on the Deus 2, Killer B's on the Tarsacci and Tony's on the AQ.

Black Windows and the Killer Bees use the same speaker, the Audio Sears 2653, (kind of tinny) the Black Widows are by far the best set for blocking out the outside noise. Most of the popular land headsets use the 2653, the old rat phones of yesteryear used the Kobitones.. (deep base

• Like 1