Deus 2 V2 Vs. V0.71 (long)

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

@palzynski,

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your question for Jeff above and hope he will answer.

I've had the 13x11 coil since it first came to the USA, I was literally one of the first to use it. I bought the 11" while waiting, didn't like it much then, and honestly save for it being a blessing while recovering from a shoulder dislocation, I still don't like the 11". It allowed me to stay out there longer and stays a bit more rigid on the SteveG shaft coil yoke, but that's where it ends.

Who knows, I may have bought a defective 11", it finds stuff just fine and is slightly more accurate locating a target, but it is characteristically not as good as the 13x11".

I can say with almost complete certainty that the 11" gives false high tones on iron far more than the 13x11. I will also assert that the 13x11 separates targets much better than the 11". I'm not a scientist so I can't tell you why. Again it could be that I have a defective 11" coil, but I'm seeing this posted more lately now that others have invested in the 13x11.

Depending upon how I have audio response adjusted, I've hit US dimes (17.91mm) at depths that seem ridiculous for a VLF, 5 scoops or more on the beach which is about as deep as I want to dig. In the field my 11" long Ranger digger takes a big plug out, and I've found them in the bottom of the hole.

If I recall posts from engineers regarding coil size and shape with respect to depth, I believe there is a "sweet spot" in coil size and shape where depth is at maximum and my results in the field and beach tell me that other than the Xtrem Hunter, XP isn't going to give us another coil. 🤣

Were I to do it all over, I'd have just the 9" and the 13x11", I'm keeping the 11" as a backup if I forget to charge the larger coil and often bring it with me on another lower to use if I get tired. At US $400 each no matter the size, the 13x11 is the best value for the money if you already have the 9".

This mirrors my experience of owning all three coils - the 9" and the 13" are the two I actually use, with the 11" as a backup/spare.

5 hours ago, palzynski said:

HI Jeff 

Thanks for all your infos . Did you notice a depth performance improvement between the 13X11 and the 11 on coin sized targets ( I mean between 2 and 10g ) ?  Thanks ...

I have never owned the 11" FMF coil. I did own an 11" X35 so I compared its weight against the FMF 13X11" coil. Using the stock shaft system the 11" and 13X11" make it very nose heavy and just heavy in general in my opinion compared to the 9" FMF coil. There is a weight difference between the 11" and 13X11" for sure but the ergonomic result using either is just not good.

So I skipped the FMF 11" and went with the 13X11" and I am super glad I did.

I have never used the 13X11" with earlier software versions. I bought mine in the last 6 months and have only ever used it with v1.1 and v2.0 software. I did buy a coil centering adapter to center mount the coil on the lower shaft. That has helped some.

I have swung the 13X11" for 2 to 4 hours straight with no lasting shoulder damage plus I switch hands.

Your idea about using the 13X11" on certain areas is a good one. I have deliberately taken it to sites that I have gridded with Deus 2 9", the Legend 11", Manticore 11" and Equinox 800 11" and found numerous small US coins that were either poorly oriented or just a bit too deep for the other setups. I have also used the Manticore 11" and Deus 2 13X11" simultaneously on wild targets. I have not found one that the Manticore misses but the target responses are notably better on Deus 2 with the 13X11".

Like 350, I have been shocked by the outstanding target separation of the 13X11" coil.

On 1/9/2024 at 3:08 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Deus 2 with the 13X11" coil has made all the difference for me as far as hitting deeper silver US dimes which are 18 mm, 2.5 gram coins. With that coil it is beating the Manticore with 11" coil by an inch on in ground wild targets.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I have also used the Manticore 11" and Deus 2 13X11" simultaneously on wild targets. I have not found one that the Manticore misses but the target responses are notably better on Deus 2 with the 13X11".

This is not the comparison sub-forum, I realize, but the first statement caught my interest.  An inch is a lot.  For many posters I would just blow off such a comment, but not you.  Could you expound a bit on your experiences that led to this conclusion?  Also, the second quote doesn't appear to be as extreme/significant in its comparison.  Am I missing something?

23 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

This is not the comparison sub-forum, I realize, but the first statement caught my interest.  An inch is a lot.  For many posters I would just blow off such a comment, but not you.  Could you expound a bit on your experiences that led to this conclusion?  Also, the second quote doesn't appear to be as extreme/significant in its comparison.  Am I missing something?

I know Deus 2 really well. I don't know the Manticore really well yet and I don't have the larger Manticore coil so I don't want to get too much into overall depth. I am waiting and saving up for the Manticore M8 instead. 

I have done a couple of side by side hunts with the Manticore 11" and Deus 2 13X11" which is where the second quote's info comes from. I have also hunted (not side by side) areas that I hunted with the Manticore one day and Deus 2 13X11" a few days later on the same ground and found deeper high conductors that did not get my attention with the Manticore 11" the way I had it setup which is basic all targets accepted All Terrain General. Any other depth testing has been done in my test garden on 8 to 10" high conductor targets.

My point for this is mirrored by others. Deus 2's 13X11" coil married to at least V1.1 software is really deep, fast, separates well and is heavy! So at least for me, the 13X11" coil is not just all about coverage.

51 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I know Deus 2 really well. I don't know the Manticore really well yet and I don't have the larger Manticore coil so I don't want to get too much into overall depth.

Well said, Jeff, and thanks for your reply.  As time goes on and you get more familiar with both detectors, hopefully you will be able to report on more side-by-side comparisons of known (e.g. test garden) and unknown ("in the wild") targets.  It's quite likely (IMO) that any difference will show up in difficult conditions -- difficult mineralization or difficult trash environments.  I guess this last sentence is a summary of all the top-of-the-line IB/VLF detectors over the past 15-20 (or maybe longer) years:  in less demanding conditions they all work well but when the going gets tough, certain models out-perform others.