The Darkside Of Beach Hunting - 3 Month Worth Of Trash

10 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Found one some years ago, too:

IMG_4030.thumb.jpeg.01b5e920e77b9ed92a4454bc89ab52cc.jpeg

IMG_4031.thumb.jpeg.e68d4c757310344522cac74a303f02ab.jpeg

🤠

well that's not exactly a full set of dentures, LOL i could see how someone could loose just one cap, caps become loose and fall off 

4 hours ago, DSMITH said:

well that's not exactly a full set of dentures

I attribute that to my lack of language knowledge 😬
We call it "bridge" over here. Found in the water - probably one of my top rare finds, ever.

• Like 1

Well, as far as the punishing amounts of light-weight aluminum from beach-detecting, there's a way to avoid that :  Hunt ocean beaches after storm erosion.   Because then mother nature takes out all the light weight stuff.  Leaving ONLY the heavier targets.  Eg.:  Coins, sinkers, keys, rings, etc....   I've even seen erosion so effective that EVEN ZINC PENNIES are gone (d/t they're lighter weight coins).

Also, if you are on a beach that is typically used for fishing, then yes :  This tactic can simply leave you with the sinker dilemma punishment.  So the trick there is to go to touristy beaches.  AND NOT the beaches that are typically fishing all-the-time.  Eg.:  Tourist swim beaches where you don't typically see surf-fishermen.   Then the fishing sinker ratio goes way down.

Same for lake hunting : We should not be md'ing at popular fishing lakes.  We should be hunting at popular SWIM lakes.  And at some of the swim lakes there are zones set aside where fishing isn't allowed (lest sharp fish hooks get introduced, that poke people's feet).  And you hunt those set-aside zones, where there will be far less fishing sinker issues.

So the trick to finding gold rings is NOT "dig junk till your arms fall off".  Instead the trick is :  Location location location , and : Timing timing timing.

• Like 3

I agree - Location is key for sure..
But sometimes you have to take what you got, I guess.

My beaches are located around a big bay.
Very few hotels, not big either.
No tides - if you're lucky, you have a big storm in wintertime, that takes away some sand on some beaches.
This has been the case in October and that's why I found so many old coins. Actually I found as many old coins in 3 months, as I did previously in ~4 years!

The pulltabs come in at a very broad range on the D2. Many of our coins happen sit exactly in that range.. so you have to bite the bullet - no cash without trash 🙄

For me that‘s ok. It‘s not all about the money and gold - free your mind after having a hard day at work ☺️

• Like 2