1951 Franklin Half At The Beach

Nice finds 🙂

You did a great job on the half, must be rewarding to find silver coins on the beach. Just when you think everything is gone something turns up after a storm system flips everything. 👍

Your mystery object is reminiscent of a doorknob, but seems too cheesy to be one. 🤔

Glad it wasn't just toy cars. 😬 Was this wet sand or surf?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting finds. Perhaps your Copper item was intended for a consentrated liquid like perfume. The slot in the neck is for the spring wire retainer of the stopper. Looks to have been Nickel plated. Nice Big Ben.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Was this wet sand or surf?

This is a familiar pattern around here of a new patch created during high tide and then when the tide goes out some of it might still be 'wet' depending how early after high tide you go and how big the patch is.  I think of the patch as having length (perpendicular to the beach) and width (shoulders) which have fewer objects but can sometimes be good and then you run out of the patch.

This patch pattern can lead to another pattern which I call 'energy lines' where I find objects in a narrow, parallel to the beach where objects have be deposited and sorted.  Both of these patterns are dependent upon 'evidence' not being removed by another detectorist who got there before you did.  There was more evidence years ago.  Just like your relic patches and of course gold nugget patches.

Beach patches move and can have the help of storms and swells.  Sometimes storms help nugget patches in washes.  Do storms help relic patches?  Maybe to get some overburden off?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Do storms help relic patches?  Maybe to get some overburden off?

Thanks for the info! About half my year is spent in the beaches now. 🙂

Some stuff that is close to the surface in a field might get caught up in a "wash", an erosion ditch formed when it rains a lot. It's usually the lighter stuff that gets caught up in that, aluminum and the lighter coins dropped recently. Just like a beach, the heavier things won't go as far.

Otherwise stuff pretty much stays where it is unless dragged by farm equipment. When I find a structure patch or an activity patch, I always cover some distance from it in both directions of tilling to look for "drags". That is, of course, if the field was always ploughed or tilled in that direction. 🤔

• Like 5

Nice hunt and a lot of digging for you, and the half is a really nice find.

The mystery object looks like maybe a knob to something similar to the old car light switches used to be.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Thanks 2

I thought it might be a small door knob too. 

I've seen that retention slot on the side on many of them.

Hope somebody IDs it positively .🥸 

I got a clad Kennedy half the other day. Not quite as exciting as that Franklin was though, no doubt ! 

The matchbox cars always remind me of the gas station I had as a kid... Maybe someone will dig up one of those some day ?🤗

• Thanks 1