Dankowski Forum

I just re-registered, responded to the activation email and posted without issue.  So I am hopefull that the forum will be renewed.

The old forum setup was terrible to read and follow, and it appears that the new software will allow MUCH better interaction.

🤞

• Like 1

I just tried to Re Register on the New Forum and I cant even get past the stupid thing you have to type in the Letters for, it keeps saying I typed in the wrong code so I have now given up, I understand why that code is there so they know you are not actually a BOT but theirs is ridiculous, not sure what the issue is over on that site, I have tried two different emails and it still keeps saying the same thing that I have entered the wrong code, not worth the headache to me for a forum

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It was not all the fact the forum software was dysfunctional. The freedom of speech so highly touted there was really due to there being no moderator, Wally always being busy and Tom out of the loop. Quite a few well known posters from past times were run off by trolls due to the lack of moderation. This forum was actually set up in direct response to unmoderated forums, almost all of which have now died away completely. I don’t see those people returning no matter what software is running the place as long as trolls are given free rein.

Here is the link to Tom’s Old Forum

and here is the direct link to Tom’s New Forum

I wish them well, lots of great info posted there over the years.

How true. The reason I left there was because of the relentless attack on a forum member (I did not know him). The forum shifted from a great bunch of knowledgeable people, to a gang of old timers that ruled it for their amusement. I was embarrassed after sending the archaeologists that I work with on projects, to that site to ask members if they could ID some of their finds. They never posted anything there after seeing that drama. I felt like an idiot for recommending that site. I always felt I lost some credibility with them over that. I have no reason to ever go back there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just checked out the new forum. There are 6 threads, and 3 of them are spammers. If you're gonna run a forum, you gotta stay on top of it. Not only being vigilant with spammers, but also by stimulating conversations and keeping the personal sniping under control. I enjoyed Dankowski's forum in the past but it's really lost the plot and everyone seems to have left. I doubt a new forum script will fix that.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

when I go to log in is says my user ID and log in info is not correct

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

I just tried to Re Register on the New Forum and I cant even get past the stupid thing you have to type in the Letters for, it keeps saying I typed in the wrong code so I have now given up, I understand why that code is there so they know you are not actually a BOT but theirs is ridiculous, not sure what the issue is over on that site, I have tried two different emails and it still keeps saying the same thing that I have entered the wrong code, not worth the headache to me for a forum

Captcha's can be a real PITA. Note that some may be case sensitive. The general rule, is that if the Captcha has lower and uppercase, then use lower and upper case. A good site will allow the user to choose a new Captcha, that hopefully doesn't look like a Rorschach test.

Other things to check if you still can't get the Captcha, is to make sure the caps lock isn't on. If your answer to the Captcha is covered by asterisks, then check that the keys you're typing, are actually what is being registered. For example, try typing the Captcha in another program or browser search bar, etc.

Anway, the first time I tried going to that site a couple of years ago, I saw that the formatting was horrendous, and everything seemed out of wack. It was obvious they were having some temporary problems with the forum...but alas, turns out that's the way it was supposed to be lol. Sheesh, the dial up BBS forums I used back in the 80's, were far better laid out and far more intuitive than that forum 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Captcha's can be a real PITA. Note that some may be case sensitive. The general rule, is that if the Captcha has lower and uppercase, then use lower and upper case. A good site will allow the user to choose a new Captcha, that hopefully doesn't look like a Rorschach test.

Other things to check if you still can't get the Captcha, is to make sure the caps lock isn't on. If your answer to the Captcha is covered by asterisks, then check that the keys you're typing, are actually what is being registered. For example, try typing the Captcha in another program or browser search bar, etc.

Anway, the first time I tried going to that site a couple of years ago, I saw that the formatting was horrendous, and everything seemed out of wack. It was obvious they were having some temporary problems with the forum...but alas, turns out that's the way it was supposed to be lol. Sheesh, the dial up BBS forums I used back in the 80's, were far better laid out and far more intuitive than that forum 🙂

Yeah it aint worth the headaches to try to join another forum

was just sitting here in the hospital room with my wife, so figured I would try to join Dankowski's forum to give me something else to read

Just rejoined, like Carl said, all I see is some spam posts. About the only forums I visit these days is Steve's and the Compass Forum.

13 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

Yeah it aint worth the headaches to try to join another forum

was just sitting here in the hospital room with my wife, so figured I would try to join Dankowski's forum to give me something else to read

I hear ya.

I love this forum due to it focusing on the more technical aspects of metal detecting. I use FMDF for more general discussions about metal detecting. Although there is also Geotech's forum, which is the epitome of "getting technical". 

I hope things work out ok with your situation 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

I hear ya.

I love this forum due to it focusing on the more technical aspects of metal detecting. I use FMDF for more general discussions about metal detecting. Although there is also Geotech's forum, which is the epitome of "getting technical". 

I hope things work out ok with your situation 🙂

Thanks

It appears the Spam issue has been addressed now.

• Like 1