Axiom Initial Thoughts And Hunt Updated

I went out for two days in the NV desert to use my new Axiom. I played with the setting for the first day trying to figure out the machine and what it was telling me.  By the end of the day I was running a negative threshold. 
Day two I spent the morning in an area that looked promising. Tons of quartz and thermally altered schist with veins of quartz mixed in.  This area was absolutely silent except for a 22 bullet down about six inches. 
I decided to give Rye Patch district a go on the way home.  The Axiom ran so quiet in the morning I thought I was way off on what I was doing. At Rye Patch I started picking up minuscule bits or iron. I was also finding tiny fragments of bullets. I met a fellow detectorist while I was there. He was using the 6000, a 4500 I think, and a goldmonster. Preferring the 4500 over the 6000 which he said was giving to much feedback with the underlying clays being so wet. 
Since I was finding so many little fragments and bits I knew the machine was working as it should. When I found a target I would scrape the top 1-2" and check to see if it moved. Most of the little bits were surface. A few troublesome pieces of wire were 4" down. 
It was getting late and I was still working on the skunk. I was headed back to the truck and got a nice hi low sound that gave a similar result when I turned on it. I scratched off two inches and it sounded better. Went to 4" and it sounded better. At 4" I was hitting some rocks. I pried the first one out and poked the nose of the coil in the hole. The sound was so good. I pried the second rock out and stuck the coil in the hole. Nothing. Checked the rock and it's a fantastic signal. I scraped the clay off the rock and ran that glob over the coil. I had it. My first nugget ever! 

Update of first impression. 

The Axiom battery seems like it will run forever.  It dropped 1 bar day one and 1 bar day two.  I did re-charge it overnight. 

The arm cuff felt tight the first night I tried it but it flexed into a good fit. 

The Zlink headphones will drop out if not positioned properly. 

IMG_6011.jpeg.9b7f58bfc82c543d44f4ebe2f129bf2f.jpeg

The settings I settled were 7 and -7.  Very little ground noise. 

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_6007.jpeg

• The title was changed to Axiom Initial Thoughts And Hunt Updated

Nice nugget! Congratulations on the nice find.

The next ones will come easier, at least it did for me.  Keep it up.

Nice find! Especially for your first nugget. Congrats!

On 3/16/2024 at 11:13 PM, CarsonChris said:

I went out for two days in the NV desert to use my new Axiom. I played with the setting for the first day trying to figure out the machine and what it was telling me.  By the end of the day I was running a negative threshold. 
Day two I spent the morning in an area that looked promising. Tons of quartz and thermally altered schist with veins of quartz mixed in.  This area was absolutely silent except for a 22 bullet down about six inches. 
I decided to give Rye Patch district a go on the way home.  The Axiom ran so quiet in the morning I thought I was way off on what I was doing. At Rye Patch I started picking up minuscule bits or iron. I was also finding tiny fragments of bullets. I met a fellow detectorist while I was there. He was using the 6000, a 4500 I think, and a goldmonster. Preferring the 4500 over the 6000 which he said was giving to much feedback with the underlying clays being so wet. 
Since I was finding so many little fragments and bits I knew the machine was working as it should. When I found a target I would scrape the top 1-2" and check to see if it moved. Most of the little bits were surface. A few troublesome pieces of wire were 4" down. 
It was getting late and I was still working on the skunk. I was headed back to the truck and got a nice hi low sound that gave a similar result when I turned on it. I scratched off two inches and it sounded better. Went to 4" and it sounded better. At 4" I was hitting some rocks. I pried the first one out and poked the nose of the coil in the hole. The sound was so good. I pried the second rock out and stuck the coil in the hole. Nothing. Checked the rock and it's a fantastic signal. I scraped the clay off the rock and ran that glob over the coil. I had it. My first nugget ever! 

Update of first impression. 

The Axiom battery seems like it will run forever.  It dropped 1 bar day one and 1 bar day two.  I did re-charge it overnight. 

The arm cuff felt tight the first night I tried it but it flexed into a good fit. 

The Zlink headphones will drop out if not positioned properly. 

IMG_6011.jpeg.9b7f58bfc82c543d44f4ebe2f129bf2f.jpeg

The settings I settled were 7 and -7.  Very little ground noise. 

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_6007.jpeg

Nicd going Chris,always makes you feel better when the new unit does what its supposed to as opposed to frustrating ya