The Thing's We Do For Some Gold

Sounds like one heck of a day and adventure.  Really like the photos and even though I am just, for now, an armchair prospector, I do live through guys,,, until the my first gold detector shows up.   Joe

• Like 1

cool, I like the 11 inch on the 6000.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MSC said:

cool, I like the 11 inch on the 6000.

Yep, I like the 10x5" and 11" best out of my GPX 6000 coils, which are the 10x5" Coiltek, 12x7" NF, 11" and 14x9" Coiltek.

I have some questions about different coil manufactures, I will have a bit of a winded question concerning some of them coming up.  phrunt, your post is part of what inspires my upcoming question/post. 

• Like 1

Those are the best places to detect! I love that feeling where you think yeah I can take the camera out here and probably not be wasting time.

Some of NZ reminds me of detecting the Rockies here, except of course minus the nearby ocean. Looks somewhat like home.

The quartz face may be a slickenside. You can find it in shear zones, areas with lots of faulting, etc. It's when two faces move/grind across each other with enormous pressure, which ends up polishing the surfaces (and often leaving lines/striations called slickenlines). Similar things can result with glaciers and a lot of that hydraulic area looks like glacial till. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yep, I like the 10x5" and 11" best out of my GPX 6000 coils

Same here, the 10 x 5" has the best depth on 2 grain and smaller of all the coils offered and where it starts to lose depth on larger pieces the 11" starts to excel. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jasong said:

Those are the best places to detect! I love that feeling where you think yeah I can take the camera out here and probably not be wasting time.

Some of NZ reminds me of detecting the Rockies here, except of course minus the nearby ocean. Looks somewhat like home.

The quartz face may be a slickenside. You can find it in shear zones, areas with lots of faulting, etc. It's when two faces move/grind across each other with enormous pressure, which ends up polishing the surfaces (and often leaving lines/striations called slickenlines). Similar things can result with glaciers and a lot of that hydraulic area looks like glacial till. 

I was going to also mention glacier polish… there even seems to be some parallel lines in it that would indicate directions that it flowed or shifted (if slickenside related). Simon, any small lakes or natural ponds in that area? Glacial moraines?

looks like a great day, good for you Simon. I’m curious, why did you feel that the 10 x 5 Coiltek would have been a better choice than the larger 12 x 7 Nugget Finder coil? Was it due to the terrain or performance?  I have both but not enough experience to say yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I was going to also mention glacier polish… there even seems to be some parallel lines in it that would indicate directions that it flowed.  Simon, and small lakes or natural ponds in that area? Glacial moraines?

looks like a great day, good for you Simon. I’m curious, why did you feel that the 10 x 5 Coiltek would have been a better choice than the larger 12 x 7 Nugget Finder coil? Was it due to the terrain or performance?

Yes, there are massive lakes in the area, I drive half an hour at about 62 mph along the side of one to get to this spot, and that's not even half the lake length, it's called the Lakes district 🙂 It had glaciers all over the place, still does have some but much smaller ones now, this area we were detecting in was a big glacier at one point.  From Bing search. "An inventory of South Island glaciers compiled in the 1980s indicated there are about 3,155 glaciers with an area of at least one hectare (2.5 acres). Approximately one sixth of these glaciers covered more than 10 hectares."

It does indeed have little lines all going the same direction through the smooth surface, it looks like it's wet it's that shiny but it's not.    I can't get a good photo of it, well one that shows how it really looks.  Tilt it on an angle to show the sheen of it and it gets too glossy to see, and straight on doesn't show the shine.

We aren't called the Shaky Isles for nothing, no shortage of earthquakes and faulting here.  

quartz.jpg.a2ac3501042530eab5489364c4a3262a.jpg

The 10x5" would be a better choice in the area due to it being deeper on smaller gold, which seems to be the gold we are finding in the area.  I don't like to use the term more sensitive as much with the 6000 as the 11" will hit gold as small as the 10x5", so it's not so much sensitivity, it's depth on the sizes of gold and the smaller coils seem to hit the tiny bits deeper, which you would expect.  I'm betting the 10x5" would give a better response to the piece of gold I was quite disappointed in the performance of the 6000 with, something I'd like to see, I can't do like I did with the Algoforce and just turn it on in my house and try it out though as the GPX just makes all crazy sounds 😛  Only the Algo can be tested in a house like that.

• Like 5