Going To New Zealand

Look at when the lake was formed.

We are spending our first night at a hotel in Wellington.  The satellite says no signal.  It could be the sun that is causing the problem.

12 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Look at when the lake was formed.

You may have missed this Mitchel, 

"The volcano's last outburst occurred around 250CE and was one of the largest recorded explosions in history, and the largest in the last 5,000 years."

The most recent eruption in Taupo’s explosive history, around 1800 years ago, unleashed a pyroclastic flow of ash and lava that swept through 20,000 sq km of land around Taupo at speeds of 600–900 km/h. It also blocked the outlet of the lake, causing its level to rise by some 35 m so that when the natural dam finally broke, the Waikato River flowed at 200 times its current rate, carving a new course for itself across the North Island and discharging into the Tasman rather than the Pacific.

Taupō is a global star – the world’s most active supervolcano. It’s studied by scientists everywhere.

I was considering the size of the lake and thinking it formed long after an eruption.

The 'hot zone' certainly stretches out over hundreds of miles.  It was cool to see.

I know there is a NZ billionaire who wants to harness the thermal and hydro power and send it by cable to Asia.

Any comments will educate me about the area because I know nothing!

Wellington tonight and Christchurch tomorrow.  There is a bit of rain hanging around here but a mostly clear moon at the moment.  I need to start looking South!

Ah, it is a long day to get a Ferry at 8:45 and then drive to Christchurch.  Add in a few road repairs and stops for play and it makes for a full day!  We're here!

You should have a look at the botanical gardens if you have time, quite a nice spot, and wander around the city centre, still plenty of buildings left that are yet to be knocked down from the earthquake, you can take a tram tour around to make it easier.  A lot of the city has been rebuilt now and you'll see the new tougher way they've built the buildings to handle the big earthquakes.   Christchurch has a cool museum but I think it's closed for renovations at the moment, the big old building its in was one of the few big old ones to survive the quake.   Hamner springs outside of Christchurch is nice for a little trip, go soak in the hot pools.   The International Antarctica centre is another good thing to do, the kids would like that.  

On 4/22/2024 at 9:48 PM, mn90403 said:

There is a bit of rain hanging around here but a mostly clear moon at the moment.  I need to start looking South!

The weather in NZ can be very fickle with 4 seasons in one day. It kind of gets more settled down in Central Otago where you are heading. The West Coast of the south island has the wettest weather in the country. Coming in from the Tasman sea & held up by the Southern Alps. It just drowns the West Coast.

D4G

We spent a 'free' night in Tekapo looking across at the shops.  We woke up in the morning to some friendly Mallard ducks.  Then we have gone to another lake town, Wanaka where I am now.

We'll be in Queenstown tomorrow!