Using The Gold Monster To Pick Up Specimens

Reno Chris

I took a friend out for a couple days in central Nevada to some hard rock mines (just got back). He got his first gold specimen with a GB2 within a couple hours, several more afterward and some more really nice ones  the following day. I got some nice pieces using the Gold Monster 1000. The GM100 is actually a really good machine on the dumps for picking out specimens. The very effective discrimination did a fine job of eliminating all the nails and other bits of iron trash so common in old hard rock dumps. Look for a more detailed article on using the GM 1000 to scan old hard rock dumps maybe as a treasure Talk feature or in the ICMJ magazine or both :wink:. Hard rock mines are overlooked by many prospectors and they have real potential. Its interesting that we got both pieces where the gold was quite yellow and others where it was silver rich and very much in the electrum range. The gold rich stuff tended to be more platy and the silver rich electrum was more wiry. Fun to pick this kind of thing off an old mine dump - this is a nice specimen of wiry, silver rich electrum gold - the gold comes out the back side of the specimen as well, so it goes clear through. You know the old miners didn't intend to throw this stuff away.

electrum.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/17/2017 at 9:20 PM, ophirboy said:

I have found some specimens that had to be dollied and panned as the gold was not visible , with the GM 1000, ,  these pieces where on dumps close to mined areas.

Some of the gold I got on this trip was also like that - a chunk of quartz with no visible gold - but if the GM1000 says its a non-ferrous target inside, you can pretty well bet its going to be gold even if you cant see it from the outside.

The six pieces I Dollied had a combined content of just over 3 grams of gold and the largest piece of quartz was the size of a baseball , very iron stained and in one piece , the gold could  be seen once cracked open with a hammer. All gave a positive reading on the meter once dug and scanned close to the coil. At depth the meter swung more to the ferrous.