Shaft Play Issue??

TedinVT

Jamie of Minelab took care of my shaft issue bigtime. She requested that I send it in. Turns out the cam locks on both the middle and upper shaft were not tightening correctly.  Minelab (Illinois) received my unit on Monday, March 12th and I received the unit back, (with new rods), on my doorstep on Tuesday, March 13th. Yes, the next day!!!

• Like 5

Mine also has some play in the lower shaft. I looked at the inside of the cam lock and saw that the small portion that contacts the lower shaft when tightened does not contact enough to prevent wobble. I marked the lower shaft at the collar of the cam with the detector at the height I like. I then wrapped Teflon tape (10-15 turns) around the lower shaft where the pressure is exerted by the cam lock. It took away all play and it is very tight now. I don't tend to shorten my detector for transport or storage, so it is not a big deal for me. However, I am happy to hear about the excellent customer service provided by Minelab to MPL; I trust it would be the same for me if I should want to send it in should my fix not work so well.

I called Minelab and asked about just having the middle rod shipped to me instead of sending it in. I was told that, per management, the whole detector needs to be returned. The shipping, to and from the facility, is paid for. I will send it in when I know I won't be detecting for a few days.

• Like 1