My New Equinox 800 Arrived!!

groundscanner

Cal,

Thanks for your kind words.  The Equinox IS fun because of its convenient versatility.  A few simple button pushes and you have a completely different machine in your hands.

Ironically, the only two seated silvers I found this year with the Equinox were at a relic site at which CW relics (buttons, plates, minie balls) were my focus (and I was rewarded with some nice CW saves too) so of course I was running in...Field 2.  I don't think they were that deep or anything but I DO know that a few other detectorists got their coils at least close to these coins before I did.  The Equinox will certainly hit silver well in the "2" modes.  Perhaps not as deep as the "1" modes.  Another contributing factor as to why the other detectors missed these coins, may be nearby iron masking  which is minimized with Iron Bias at 0 (the default in Field 2) and perhaps the coins were tilted in the ground or on edge for which the field 2 mid-conductor higher frequency weighted setup does better vs. a deep silver low frequency setup.  Or it could just be luck and simply getting the coil over the target. 

There are absolutely no "absolutes" when using these settings.  You can still find silver at depth with Field 2 just as you can find small gold rings in Park 1.  That is why it pays to hit a site again with different modes because the built-in detector diversity of the Equinox may reveal borderline targets in one mode that just missed being detected in the other mode.

Perhaps another trip back with alternate settings will snag you some more 19th century gold instead of silver the next time out.

HH to you, Cal.  

cg

Chase,

Thanks for the most useful info and instruction!!!!  I will be sure to follow your advice and will post the results of todays hunt.

Cal,

Thanks for your interesting post also. All this discussion is very helpful to a new user like me!

Well here are  the results of today's hunt.

I was running the 800 in park 1.  I found one nice eagle button. One small button (WWI or WWII).  And what appears to be a cuff link with a touch of gold wash still visible.  I also found a brass plumb bob and part of a spoon.

I also found the usual assortment of lead and brass items.  My son was using his AT Pro found a 1964 silver quarter.  

I was very impressed by the 800!!  The site was filled with nails and assorted large iron trash but ran very quiet.  The cuff link had half of a square nail in the same hole.

I also dug a dime size piece of beer can at 10+ inches.  I just knew that I was digging a large piece of iron.  I was quite surprised!!

IMG_2089.jpg