Reno Chris

Buying Your Own Mining Claim: Let The Buyer Beware

26 posts in this topic

The investor has fronted money for purchase of recovery equipment, plus expenses, received nothing in return, yet is convinced that with more money to buy different (better) equipment he will realize his profit.

It's the "Sunk Cost Fallacy." When someone has already invested so much money they are easily convinced that just a few thousand more will finally get them the riches that they deserve. 

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-makes-you-act-stupid.html

1 person likes this

People generally want to believe what they want to believe, and as long as you play to that it is relatively easy to con people. I could have been a great con man but my parents raised me right. Being in business I did see many played however.

The three most common I saw in Alaska were:

1. Selling worthless ground by association/proximity. All you have to do is stake worthless ground on or near good proven ground, the more famous the better. For example, Bonanza Creek produced tons of gold, but only in the last five miles of its eight mile length. Stake claims on the worthless upper three miles, point at all the history and production downstream - easy sale.  Regular folks do not understand how gold deposits work and think if found in one part of a location it is found everywhere else.

2. Just a little more money needed. We have this great ground, and have invested much time and money, and are now almost to the fabulous glory hole. All we need is for you to invest XXXX dollars now and by this fall you will get ten times that back. Somehow most of the money goes to paying my expenses/wages and the glory hole never gets found. Goes well with number 1. above.

3. Believe it or not I have seen the gold from water scam played repeatedly. Glacial silt in water is a popular source of micron gold that can be recovered with the right magic filters. Due to all the glacial silt in Alaska waters and the general Alaska mystique it is a popular destination for people running this scam.

The fun part is you are generally wasting your time trying to talk people out of being conned. They will often defend the scammer and even get angry if you push it too hard. The "sunk cost" fallacy from the post above also applies to minds made up. We have invested ourselves into a decision, and will resist being proven wrong. So much so that when presented with contrary evidence, we will decide the evidence is wrong before admitting we are wrong. Attempting to talk someone out of being conned can actually make people more inclined to accept the con.

Outright scams blend seamlessly into legal marketing and so caution is always called for. In general, if you are being told what you want to hear, be cautious.

A. If you buy this detector device, learn it well, put in the time to research and hunt the right places, and work real hard at it, you may do well.

B. If you buy this detector device, it will easily pay for itself.

The difference is obvious - beware easy answers.

3 people like this

You just never know.   My neighbor invested $10,000 in the mine in New Mexico – he liked the guy and had Visited the area of the mine and decided it would be cool to be able to go there anytime He wanted. He asked me to look at all the paperwork and told him I would not spend my money on it but that in was a non-recourse arrangment, the worst that could happen was to kiss the $10k goodbye. He was convinced he wanted to go ahead.  About eight months later the mine got sold and my friend tripled his money – so much for my expertise and advice.  Lol

2 people like this

Hey Fred! I have a mine with $1,000,000 of gold. Would you happen to have $2,000,000 to invest?

Happened to get another call from a claim owner that seems to have been defrauded. That's 4 this month.

1 person likes this

Chris ; I don't have a lot of sympathy  for someone who buys a "gold mine" with out doing their own diligent appraisal and I have never charged any one for my opinion of a mining property even though that opinion may be worth upward of 2 cents. The problems I am getting questions on are posting over the top of a recorded and registered claim with a fraudulently dated location notice, floating a claim with repetitious recordings until the claim can be marketed on a website, telling a legitimate claimant that "this is my claim but some one must have removed the location notice", claiming to have constructed a 3' rock mound with a 2x2 wooden stake erected in it in February - in the Gold Lake area and some that I won't mention on a public forum as it looks like they may wind up in court. Your always welcome to call anytime and I can be a little more specific. 

4 people like this

This sounds so familiar. Oh wait I have seen about 100 of these in my NORTHERN CALIFORNIA area. Oops. I think the two guys here that do this are simply bad people. I've met both on numerous occasions and I got nothing for ether of them. I really don't like it when going to a claim with friends and they've had it for decades and there's a location notice. I noticed that these people never looked up the claim and they don't have the right area of where they claim to have claimed. It's horrible just horrible. These painted red little posts and a pile of rocks or some in concrete just got waisted. Time and money that could have been spent legally and legitimately to reach their goal. I'm just sick!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Trent King
      I was doing a quick search of gold mine sales in Australia to suss out the market.  Came across this gold mine sales mob who have cut and copied my gumtree ads and added random pictures??wtf
      http://www.goldminesales.com.au/index.php/component/osproperty/hillview-gold-project-wa
      This is a hard rock mine I own that they have listed as an alluvial mine.  Disturbingly it has 175 views and god knows how many people have been tricked thinking the ads are real.
      I have sent enquiries in but have not recieved responses yet.
      We try very hard to provide a quality service with our lease sales and am pretty pissed about someone taking potential customers for a ride.
    • By Reno Chris
      Prospecting can be profitable, but there is more than one way to make money in the prospecting game beyond just finding gold. Leasing out prospective claims to mining companies is a subject I have written about several times in the ICMJ and also in my book on prospecting. I know people who have made big money doing this - a lot more than this check. Its a serious effort to find claims mining companies want. Right now, the market to lease them off is not good.
      I am publishing this check with critical areas blanked out for security reasons - it would be a waste try to copy it. I also greatly altered the colors of the check, the company who issued it is out of business and I am guessing there is no significant money that is left in their account. So all things considered, I figure its safe to show. As one can see from the date, the issue was two years ago in 2015. I'll get my 2017 payment in a few weeks from a different company.

• By Rege-PA
      If a claim is filed as a lode claim, can it still be detected on by someone else?
    • By TintedSnow
      Is there a way to search land records/claims by owner's name? I have a friend who is looking for where his grandfather's claim was many years ago. I know it's somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula, but that's about all we know. Thanks!
    • By Clay Diggins
      The Nevada BLM closed 8,195 claims between January 15th and February 1st. That's nearly 194,000 acres opened to location in two weeks. Most of those claims were held by the big mining companies - Kinross, Barrick. Some of these claims go back to 1893. 
      Of course you would already know that and have an individual map of each of those 8,195 claims section areas if you are a Claims Advantage Member. 
      This is an unusual number of closures in such a short period of time even for Nevada, the biggest mining State by far. Annual turnover in Nevada mining claims is about 20,000 claims so this could be just an unusually productive period for the Nevada BLM in updating their case files.
      Why the big mining companies are dumping so many claims is a matter of speculation since I don't sit in on their board or management meetings. This may just be a blip in reporting. In any case I'll leave the speculation to others. Probably more important is where these closed claims are. That answer will probably produce a flurry of prospecting as soon as the weather permits.
      Go get u sum
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The budget process under way includes some proposed changes to the mining law that claim owners or those thinking of owning claims need to be aware of.

From BLM Bureau Highlights page 12 http://www.doi.gov/budget/appropriations/2016/highlights/upload/BH007.pdf

"The second legislative proposal institutes a leasing pro- cess under the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920 for certain minerals—gold, silver, lead, zinc, copper, uranium, and molybdenum—currently covered by the General Mining Law of 1872. After enactment, mining for these metals on Federal lands will be governed by the new leasing process and subject to annual rental payments and a royalty of not less than five percent of gross proceeds. Half of the receipts will be distributed to the States in which the leases are located and the remaining half will be deposited in the Treasury. Existing mining claims will be exempt from the change to a leasing system. The proposal also increases the annual maintenance fees under the General Mining Law of 1872 and eliminates the fee exemption for miners holding ten or fewer mining claims. These changes will discourage speculators from holding claims that they do not intend to develop. Holders of existing mining claims for these minerals could voluntarily convert their claims to leases. The Office of Natural Resources Revenue will collect, account for, and disburse the hardrock royalty receipts."

Note that these are listed under a heading as changes relating to hardrock mining reform. Without seeing the actual proposed legislation it is not clear but it would seem unlikely that this would not end up applying to all claims on federal land, including placer claims. In the future there would be no new claims, only leases, subject to leasing fees and a royalty of not less than 5% of gross receipts. This means you could lose money and still owe a royalty. Furthermore the Small Miners Exemption would be eliminated, and annual fees increased for existing claims.

Before everyone goes ballistic keep in mind proposals like these have been floated for decades and so it is not a given it will come to pass. The big boys will certainly fight the leasing and royalty portions. However, they will not care about the Small Miners Exemption. If you do, you may want to dig deeper into the proposals and keep an eye on their progress. This would have a devastating impact on club ownership of claims in particular.