Setting And GB Question

When changing to the various modes/profiles, i.e. Park 1 and 2, Field 1 and 2, is it advisable to GB again and to noise cancel each time you change? This may have already been answered, but I couldn't find it on the forum.

(EXCELLENT info on this forum, a ton of knowledge and helpful hints.)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

There are very few global settings - a setting that if adjusted is the same in all modes. Most settings are local, and so yes, they must be set for each Search Profile you employ. Only volume, sensitivity, and backlight are global with settings that transfer automatically to all modes.

Important Tip - Global Vs Local Settings

minelab-equinox-global-local-settings.jpg

Minelab Equinox Essential Information

• Like 1

Got it - thanks Steve! "When all else fails, read the directions." ;-)

• Like 1

The Quick Start/4 Easy Steps to get started instructions make no mention of ground balancing. I assume the Nox defaults to tracking and no pumping is required?

10 minutes ago, Richard Williams said:

The Quick Start/4 Easy Steps to get started instructions make no mention of ground balancing. I assume the Nox defaults to tracking and no pumping is required?

In the directions it says you should pump to do the GB.  It also makes mention in particularly difficult ground you can auto balance and swing left to right.  I have have had success with my machine in mixed farm soil types up here in NE Ohio running tracking.  Both manual and Auto GB are a one time set and run.  Tracking is continuously adjusting to the ground.  I imagine that some experimentation will be required to find out what works best for your ground!   

So, just to be clear, GB defaults to "0" and does NOT auto track? Sorry to be so dense, just want to be sure. The quick start is 4 steps and NO mention of GB at all.

15 minutes ago, Richard Williams said:

So, just to be clear, GB defaults to "0" and does NOT auto track? Sorry to be so dense, just want to be sure. The quick start is 4 steps and NO mention of GB at all.

Out of the box you power it on and in all modes GB is 0 and it will not track.  Each time you switch a mode you will have to set it again.  GB is not a global setting.

4 minutes ago, Vez said:

Out of the box you power it on and in all modes GB is 0 and it will not track.  Each time you switch a mode you will have to set it again.  GB is not a global setting.

Got it. Thanks.

The ground balance preset for all modes except Gold Mode is Manual set to 0. This is good enough for most low to moderate ground conditions when using Multi-IQ, which has built in ground processing sufficient to the task. That is why the Quick Start does not include it as part of the process.

From the Minelab Equinox Full Instruction Manual, page 40:

“The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less mineralisation than goldfields. However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/ or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground Balance is recommended.

If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard up-and-down motion.”

I would however always recommend you do a ground balance if running a single frequency. In more mineralized soils performing a ground balance should be normal operating procedure even for Multi-IQ.

The Gold Modes are preset for ground tracking.

From the Minelab Equinox Full Instruction Manual, page 63 (click to enlarge)...

Portions marked with asterisk are Equinox 800 only.

minelab-equinox-factory-presets.jpg

0143E3D0-68E4-4BF8-BC4B-3BEC8DC93D25.jpeg

• Like 1