GPZ7000 And The Garrett Carrot Pinpointer

dgatleyDP.....I have a tremendous amount of titanium and surgical steel in my right knee and lower leg. I have to time my swing (GPZ7000) with my steps so that when stepping forward with my right leg, my swing is to the far left. It works, and forces me to go slow.....which is a good thing. 

I have yet to try the Garrett Carrot with my 7000. The thing is dynamite though when coin shooting!! Leaps and bounds over the ML pin pointer.

• Like 1

My first thought was to fashion a little spandex loop on the side of your hat that you could tuck it into. Kind of like a pencil behind your ear. You might look silly but that would get it 5-6 feet away from the coil. 

• Like 1

I just ordered one of the Garrett Carrots from Rob.

Over the weekend I borrowed one from a friend and it really made pinpointing down in a deep hole a lot easier. The coil on the Z is just way too big sometimes.

I'll prob keep the Carrot inside an upper pouch on my pack and just break it out when I need it.

Any issues using one with the GPX series? I haven't ever used a pinpointer but I could certainly see how they could speed things up, especially using large coils.

• 3 months later...

I have never used a pinpointer. However, some of the deep targets I get with the GPZ have nearly worn me out-which ain't all that hard to do these days...Is the Garrett carrot only/mostly sensitive at the end. I am concerned that it will signal on all sides and the end which would nullify its effectiveness on deep targets...

I doubt I would use it much coin hunting, I just need to reduce the work involved in digging big, deep junk while i hope/wait for the thumper nugget...

fred

On February 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM, fredmason said:

I have never used a pinpointer. However, some of the deep targets I get with the GPZ have nearly worn me out-which ain't all that hard to do these days...Is the Garrett carrot only/mostly sensitive at the end. I am concerned that it will signal on all sides and the end which would nullify its effectiveness on deep targets...

I doubt I would use it much coin hunting, I just need to reduce the work involved in digging big, deep junk while i hope/wait for the thumper nugget...

fred

It's most sensitive at the tip (jeez...) but you won't be finding any deep targets with it. Everything I've ever pinpointed with mine has been within a few inches of the pinpointer.

It's really helpful when your hole gets too deep to put the coil inside anymore and you have no clue if your target is on the side of the hole or at the bottom.

When you get close to your nugget you don't want to damage it with your pick either so the pinpointer really helps with narrowing down where the target is so you can toss the pick aside and start scraping away with your plastic scoop or a small stick.

• Like 1

Thanks Tortuga;

I would expect it to be sensitive at the tip(jeez?), my concern is if it will be so sensitive that touching the sides of the hole will cause false signals. I would not even bring it out until I had a 12 or 18 inch hole dug.  It is only the real deep stuff that stuffs me...

I read a review that touted the sides as well as the tip as being very sensitive, I do not see why that is a good thing...why would you call that a PIN-POINTER? That is why I am asking dumb questions...

fred

As Reno Chris said, the coil in most pin pointers is a closed loop and this creates a signal in much the same way as the little anti-theft coils inserted into goods to prevent shoplifting.

You should be able to stop the interference by shielding the pin pointer. This could be done by lining the holster with alfoil (aluminum cooking foil) although it should also work if you fix a suitable small piece of metal or a ring to the holster, but you would have to find the sweet spot or it wouldn't work.

It would be simpler to experiment with an alfoil shield first.

• Like 2

Thanks Tortuga;

I would expect it to be sensitive at the tip(jeez?), my concern is if it will be so sensitive that touching the sides of the hole will cause false signals. I would not even bring it out until I had a 12 or 18 inch hole dug. It is only the real deep stuff that stuffs me...

I read a review that touted the sides as well as the tip as being very sensitive, I do not see why that is a good thing...why would you call that a PIN-POINTER? That is why I am asking dumb questions...

fred

I wouldn't worry too much about falsing. The pinpointer isn't super sensitive. Unless you're digging a hole filled with trash all over the sides, it will only hit on the single metal target you're trying to find. They're easy to use. Once the tip gets near anything metal it beeps and vibrates. Works very well and will save you time pinpointing targets. You can even ground balance with the Garrett too.

• Like 1