Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!

Added by Steve H, previous threads:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/2544-coolest-rake-ever/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11582-raking-for-gold-on-the-beach-and-in-the-water/

12 hours ago, Compass said:

Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!

Go to emachineshop.com, download their free CAD design program and design your own.  Then upload it to them and they will ship your lasercut product back to you.  I built my own truck roof rack and the lasercut parts were about $45 each, but you’ll only need one and can bolt it onto the head of a basic rake. Its easy!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Go to emachineshop.com, download their free CAD design program and design your own.  Then upload it to them and they will ship your lasercut product back to you.  I built my own truck roof rack and the lasercut parts were about $45 each, but you’ll only need one and can bolt it onto the head of a basic rake. Its easy!

Wow GotAu...that is an option that I didn't know I had. I will definitely have a look. Thanks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Compass said:

Wow GotAu...that is an option that I didn't know I had. I will definitely have a look. Thanks!

Draw out your logo and name into the design too and make it personalized.  Here’s what I did for my truck, it will be easy for you to draw out those lightning bolt patterns for the rake because you won’t have to use precise measurements- I had to make mine fit predrilled hole patterns for a mountable awning and other hardware on these 34” long rack sides. I decided to use a famous hero for my logo:A8190211-26A0-4869-86C1-09793B3C967B.thumb.jpeg.d97dc3108b843d1af435a2e54606363a.jpeg

• Like 1

You know what though, the rake they show has many cut parts.  I would recommend making a base plate across the face of the rake, and put smaller teeth made of stiff wire sticking through them.  It will be expensive to cut out multiple parts  unless you design them in such a way that you can separate them... the expense for emachineshop.com is really the setup fee.

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

You know what though, the rake they show has many cut parts.  I would recommend making a base plate across the face of the rake, and put smaller teeth made of stiff wire sticking through them.  It will be expensive to cut out multiple parts  unless you design them in such a way that you can separate them... the expense for emachineshop.com is really the setup fee.

Thanks again GotAU, In looking at the video I don't see the value in the barbs since the rake would only be going in one direction. I believe I can simplify the design to minimize the cutting. I've already downloaded the software and watching the tutorials- pretty amazing possibilities with this stuff and I really appreciate the info about it. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I have one for sale.  $100.00 which includes shipping.  I came down with bad vertigo by the time I received it from a foreign country.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Compass said:

Thanks again GotAU, In looking at the video I don't see the value in the barbs since the rake would only be going in one direction. I believe I can simplify the design to minimize the cutting. I've already downloaded the software and watching the tutorials- pretty amazing possibilities with this stuff and I really appreciate the info about it. 

Not to preempt the one that Terry is offering to sell above, but I just realized you could design a single piece flat head for the rake with a lot of tines on it and then carefully bend each tine 90° to work as a beach rake. Make a straight longer section on the upper part of the tines for the bend.

Don’t cold bend aluminum like you can with iron, you have to heat the bend spot up over 400° Before doing it. A torch can do it, but I use one of those Harbor freight $30 heat guns whenever I’m doing it. Those guns can bring it up to melting point, so be careful. This video has a good way of doing it, using a piece of wood as a temperature check .

Just a thought.....

On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Compass said:

2 hours ago, TerryinHawaii said:

Hi,

I have one for sale.  $100.00 which includes shipping.  I came down with bad vertigo by the time I received it from a foreign country.

Thanks Terry, PM sent.

Thanks again Got AU, Interesting video as I bent some aluminum when I built a teardrop trailer years ago. I burned off candle soot to let me know that the temp was right before shaping with a rubber mallet. I'm not sure if you are suggesting aluminum for the rake tines but they may have to be thick to be strong enough and therefore would cause more drag. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Earlier this week I had my car 'pilfered' of some loose items in it.  It was probably done sometime early Sunday morning.  Nothing was broken on the car but who knows how they got in without setting off the alarm or perhaps it was just left open in the carport on an alley that gets a lot of scavengers walking through.  It has happened before.  The police have been notified. There was some change and sunglasses, reading glasses taken along with some keys (which have no value to them) which included  a disc lock on a garage door I rent.  I'll have to cut or grind it off somehow.  The door is aluminum and I can't cut the attachment off.  I guess I will follow this advice:
      https://www.selfstoragetalk.com/forum/general-self-storage-forums/general-storage-chat/10594-cutting-disc-locks
      So much for the first 'view' of things and then I was going detecting and noticed that my Lesche 'knife' the 2"x7" kind was missing from the back with a few tools.  Also my beach jacket ... so now I have an opportunity to buy replacements.  I'll use some of my beach coins to buy the stuff.  
      Is that still the best tool for a park?  I like the root sawing edge but the hole digging part with just the hands is a pain.  I still have a larger version but that would be too big for a nice park.
      The 'pilfering' could have been worse.  It could have been major.  They didn't have a way to walk down the alley with a couple of metal detectors and I had taken my cell phone and wallet inside but I sometimes forget it when I get back late at night.  We all need to think about replacements for things 'forgotten' so please learn from my recent experience. 
      Mitchel
    • By Compass
      Yesterday I went to the lake to try out my new "treasure" rake in the water. I pulled it for almost 3 hours and found a very thin silver chain after which I switched to the Nox 800 for the remainder of the hunt. Couple of things I learned about the rake: It did not dig as deep as I expected or wanted it to. It had a tendency to ride on top and took a lot of work to even force it down an inch or two. I may try and add some lead weights to the head to help drive it a little deeper next time. Pulling the rake wasn't as strenuous as I had anticipated but then again it wasn't going very deep.
      With the detector I managed to find a small silver ring and a hollow gold earring that tests out as 14K. My buddy used his detector the entire hunt and found a nice 5 gram 14K ring so maybe I would have been better off metal detecting the whole time but still, I am encouraged by this first test of the rake and will try again next hunt. It does test one's patience though even more than detecting does.

In this last picture you can see how thin this chain is compared to the thickness of a dime. If the rake can find this small sized silver chain it should be able to grab a bigger gold one as well.
      GL&HH!
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The handle on my trusty old stainless steel scoop finally broke. The scoop is fine, but the handle is a custom curved 7/8" aluminum tube. I made a trip to Home Depot - nothing like that in stock. Looked at a piece on Amazon - shipping is killer on stuff 40" long. It was going to be like $50 delivered.
      I figured I could find something locally for less, but did not want to bother with it at the moment. I decided that I had $50 I might want to spend on a new scoop instead. Has to be stainless steel, and my new criteria is that I want to be able to bolt any straight handle on it that I want - wood, metal, fiberglass, whatever.
      I've looked at highly recommended scoops like the Stealth 720, but I have to admit $250 seems a bit much for a scoop to me. A bit of Googling and I saw one that looked fine, and the price was more to my liking. The $99.95 Scoopal Sand Scoop. I had a 10% off coupon from Serious Detecting, and after free shipping this scoop showed up in two days for $89.95, U-bolts included. I like that! It is well built, looks plenty stout enough to me. I happened to have an old wood handle already in my pile of pick parts, and so I bolted it on. The scoop has been on two outings so far, and I am quite happy with it. The holes are a little smaller than my old scoop, so it gathers more gravel, but is also way easier to recover tiny stuff like .22 shell casings that slipped through the old scoop.
      Anyway, if you are looking for a scoop without spending the big bucks this scoop is worth a look. I have zero regrets on this purchase.

• By AlbyM
      Hi all,
      I just bit the bullet and purchased a Nemo Blu3 portable dive system as another tool in my metal detecting arsenal. For those who don't know about the Nemo, here are a couple of videos that show what it can do:
      I'd love to compare notes with those here who are using a Nemo Blu3 with their Nox underwater. I haven't used it yet myself as I had to put it in my shipment to Vietnam, where I will be starting a new job in a couple of months. So I'm just doing a lot of research at this point.
      The only problem I am hearing so far is that the Nox can be difficult to hear underwater over the Nemo Blu3 regulator whether you use the Minelab "yellow" underwater headphones or don't use headphones at all. For anyone using the Nemo with their Nox (or diving at all), have you been able to find an alternative underwater headphone with better sound or another workaround? Thanks in advance!
    • By phrunt
      Thanks for that, very interesting.  It shows if Tarsacci wanted to make a gold prospecting detector based off that technology they could.
      I also very much like your scoop, that's very similar to the perfect design scoop I want to get. 
    • By pinpointa
      Hi Guys,
      Has any members got or used the Radius Root Slayer coin hunting. Have noticed they have a very narrow one which tapers in which would give you a small hole.
      Regards .