What's Better Than Half Of A Cartier Bracelet?

Compass

On 12/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, Dances With Doves said:

Many    rings are also tossed in anger from cars too.   

I was guilty of this myself, 30 years ago! My first marriage lasted a year! I tossed her;😱 i mean it, off a bridge into the intercoastal!  Should have just sold it, and bought a new detector instead!! 🤣 👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, Compass said:

I think you know where this is going. Back in early October I posted about finding half of an 18k, rose gold, Cartier Love Bracelet deep in the wet sand on one of my local beaches. Here is another picture of that find:

IMG_20201007_164049.thumb.jpg.64cfa890c77609c567241c45bafd30a5.jpg

I convinced myself that the other half of the bracelet was still in the same area waiting to be found and looked for it on every hunt since then- maybe a dozen times or so when the conditions seemed right, day or night. Some of my friends thought it was a bit foolish to do so because someone may have already found it-  if it was even lost in the first place. In the meantime I would be missing out on other more productive sites they said. However, I reasoned that while looking for the other bracelet half, I would find collateral finds and, sure enough, the spot produced a few gold rings and assorted silver rings, chains and earrings. 

Earlier this week, conditions looked promising for another recovery attempt with extreme tides and impressive swells in the forecast. However, I was having one of my worst hunts in recent memory with only a couple of lightweight pieces of trash in over an hour of detecting. When I got a faint whisper of a signal, the kind that makes you question if it is just your imagination, I scooped out several mounds of wet sand and the detector was now screaming loud over the pile of excavated sand to the side of the hole. I looked down and saw a half-oval impression on top of the mound. 

I reached down and felt the object and at the same time saw a familiar rose gold colored half-bracelet in my hand. I have had a few surreal moments while detecting before but I don't think that anything will ever top this one when I truly questioned if what I was experiencing was real. I turned the bracelet around to see the "Cartier" logo that I knew would be there since it wasn't on the other half that I had already found. Funny but at that instant I had one of those "deja vu" moments of having been there before. I went and sat on the beach "cut" to collect my thoughts, offer a prayer of gratitude and enjoy the moment. I didn't have my cell phone on me for fear of it getting wet but when I got to the car I took a quick picture:

IMG_20201214_161054.thumb.jpg.e9a8dd0b95ebc8b1390d6989f7b30b40.jpg

And, of course, a couple more when I got home:

IMG_20201214_182305.jpg.1a7ce573958f959d610eacb9ead30f0e.jpg

IMG_20201214_181140.jpg.5b2a5192a718e849743b892119ace3b2.jpg

The two pieces fit together perfectly! There are minor scratches on the bracelet that I think were already on it when it was lost. Hard to say how long ago the bracelet had been lost but my guess would be fairly recently because the 2 halves were found very close to one another.

Some of my friends suggested that I not post about this find and I know that they have good intentions but I felt that this experience had to be shared. I have learned a lot from this experience. I have little concern if this story leads to a reunion of the bracelet with the person who lost it. In fact, I am already taking steps to try to return it. I, and many other hunters, know that the real thrill in detecting is in the finding- not in the owning. Thanks for reading- GL&HH!

IMG_20201215_061949.jpg

Fantastic. Great work. It's a beauty!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ECris said:

Fantastic. Great work. It's a beauty!

Thanks ECris, Yes, it was work but it's probably the closest I will ever come to the experience of finding lost treasure in the traditional sense. In other words it's the best thing that I have ever found that I was specifically  looking for.

• Like 1

Great achievement finding the other half . If nobody claims it then i think you deserve to keep it for your hard work , skill , and perseverance . Congrats .  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hunterjunk said:

Great achievement finding the other half . If nobody claims it then i think you deserve to keep it for your hard work , skill , and perseverance . Congrats .  

Thanks HJ, I hope that I will never forget how "magical" that moment felt when I found that matching bracelet half. The only thing that even comes close is when I found a guy's wedding ring for him at low tide after driving down to the beach in the middle of the night. And that only took 1 hunt!

• Like 1