What's Better Than Half Of A Cartier Bracelet?

Compass

24 minutes ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Way to not give up! scored!🤩  ht 

Thanks ht, Yes, it is extremely satisfying to put in so much effort into something and get the desired end result. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way but I guess it was meant to be this time. 

23 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

The year is not over yet!

True, and I will probably get in a couple more hunts before the end of the year but even if I get shut-out I won't complain- I detected way above my head this year and the law of averages is probably going to catch up to me! 😉

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Quite the finish to a story that didn't really need one since the first half was a treasure find all on its own.  But it's quite the bonus.  I notice some commonalities of your perseverant search with famous treasure caches:

1) Was it ever lost in the first place?

2) If lost, has it already been found?

3) If not yet found, is it even findable?

4) If findable, is it worth the effort?

Yes, yes, yes, (and apparently) yes!

I don't know if Garrett Searcher would consider this for their monthly publication as (AFAIK) Garrett hasn't revealed their plans for their acquisition of White's assets.  Who knows, it might even inspire them to re-issue the TDI Series....  "Cats already out of the bag" so maybe dropping them a note could lead to something positive.

GBA, Thanks for your well thought out reply. During the past couple of months I thought of most of the things that you have mentioned. Yes, the first half of the bracelet was quite a find on its own but also a bit of a burden on my conscience every time I saw it or thought about it. I kept thinking "what if" the other half is still out there. Finding the other half would be so much more than just double the satisfaction

1. I concluded that the design of the bracelet made it very likely that both halves would fall of the wrist quickly if the screws came undone. I thought that the person likely lost it in the surf and wouldn't have time to react when the bracelet came apart if they even realized it was happening.

2. At first I thought that this was a real possibility but as I returned to spot over and over again I only saw one other hunter in the area and he didn't stay long. I figured that if someone else had found the half that I was looking for they would be there looking for the half that I had already found (especially in promising conditions when I was there). I was assuming that the bracelet had been lost perhaps within the past year partly because of its great condition.

3. I thought that this was the key to my success. I know this particular beach better than most any other. If the remaining bracelet half was there, I believed that it would eventually be within reach of the detector but it would require the right combination of tide and surf. I should also say that I don't think that any of my other detectors would have been able to hear it because of its depth. I was using the TDI Beachhunter GB "off", near maximum gain and pulse delay as low as it would go (10us).

4. After I found the first bracelet half I started thinking about how many more hunts I was willing to make to find the other half. I figured that if I returned for 10 or so more hunts to find it, I'd be spending, conservatively, a couple hundred dollars to find a bracelet that retails for $6,500. As it turned out, even the "collateral" finds more than covered the fuel costs. 

I may contact Garrett but I don't know that I want to see more TDI's being produced unless they make the TDI Pro available. Been keeping my eye open for one of those. 😉

How cool is that?? Your perseverance really paid off, not to mention the other bonus rings found while searching for the Cartier half. Well done!! Merry Christmas! Bob 

20 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Incredible two part find - congratulations! And good on you to be looking for the owner. :smile:

Thanks Steve, Pretty sure that this is a once in a lifetime event for me. I'm making the effort to return it but as you know, it is not always that easy to do. Organizations are concerned about customer privacy and often seem reluctant to help. My initial contact with Cartier resulted in a request to just send the bracelet to them and that's not going to happen.

8 minutes ago, okara gold said:

How cool is that?? Your perseverance really paid off, not to mention the other bonus rings found while searching for the Cartier half. Well done!! Merry Christmas! Bob 

Thank you Bob, Definitely one of the coolest detecting experiences that I have ever had. I've had other surreal moments in the hobby but no other recovery required so much planning, hard work and dependence on environmental conditions. I even think that divine intervention may have played a part. Merry Christmas!

Wow George, that's an exciting find right there! I see they sell for around $5k used on Ebay without the key, box, and authentication paperwork. Surprisingly, even the gold plated fakes are going for around $300! Just goes to show how much a high end name brand will pump up the price.

Has the wifey claimed it yet? 😁

28 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

Wow George, that's an exciting find right there! I see they sell for around $5k used on Ebay without the key, box, and authentication paperwork. Surprisingly, even the gold plated fakes are going for around $300! Just goes to show how much a high end name brand will pump up the price.

Has the wifey claimed it yet? 😁

Thanks Dave, At first I think I was more shocked than excited. I kind of wondered to myself if I had died and gone to heaven. It was very strange and intense. The so called "key" for these bracelets is an 18k gold plated screwdriver. :laugh:   My little Craftsman screwdriver worked just fine.

You aren't kidding about those high end name brands- I would love to find more of them (wouldn't we all?). My wife loves it, of course, and she did try it on for fun but it's a little too small on her. She agrees that it would be nice to return it, if possible.

Great going Compass,

I knew you couldn't resist the hunt for the other piece! I'm so happy no one beat you to it! I'm sure that faint signal was missed by more than a few! Weak signals are one of the hardest things to train your ears for, especially at the beach with all the noise and visual distractions! That is definitely a lifetime find×2! Great job! No one is more deserving! No pressure, but can't wait till your next great find(s)!! Enjoy, and Happy Holidays! Be Safe!!👍👍