2020 Metal Detecting Finds

Compass

Compass,

I loved the way you showed off everything in the video and photos. Almost like a police lineup of wonderful finds. Glad you have had wonderful success this year as next year I hope to beat you out on finds, I just have to learn my 800 better.

Good luck on your next hunt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Compass,

I loved the way you showed off everything in the video and photos. Almost like a police lineup of wonderful finds. Glad you have had wonderful success this year as next year I hope to beat you out on finds, I just have to learn my 800 better.

Good luck on your next hunt!

Thanks VL, I would be very happy for you if you have a great year of finds because metal detecting has given me so many awesome memories. I've been doing this for a long time now and to have a (detecting) year like this proves that there are still plenty of opportunities to find treasure out there.

• Thanks 1

It would be hard to add anything to what has already been said along the lines of congratulations.  Well done, well hunted and well researched I'd say.  I kinda live in your same area and can't begin to think of all the places where you detect.

There is a question I could ask ... just off the top of your head ... how many ozs of GOLD did you get this year?  Let's say it would be a 14k average purity.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

It would be hard to add anything to what has already been said along the lines of congratulations.  Well done, well hunted and well researched I'd say.  I kinda live in your same area and can't begin to think of all the places where you detect.

There is a question I could ask ... just off the top of your head ... how many ozs of GOLD did you get this year?  Let's say it would be a 14k average purity.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, I hadn't really given it much thought but as I watch the video and kind of add up as I go along....maybe 8 or 9 ozs of 14k. 

• Like 2

Well done Compass! And a nice video too. I'll never say that something is the find of a lifetime. There's always something bigger or better just around the corner. Years ago I found a 5 ounce nugget. Everyone said "That's the find of a lifetime!". I thought... bummer... I've hit the pinnacle already, now what lies ahead? About 5 years later I found another nugget 3 times as big. True hunters never throw in the towel! Congrats on a great year! Hope to see more.

49 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Well done Compass! And a nice video too. I'll never say that something is the find of a lifetime. There's always something bigger or better just around the corner. Years ago I found a 5 ounce nugget. Everyone said "That's the find of a lifetime!". I thought... bummer... I've hit the pinnacle already, now what lies ahead? About 5 years later I found another nugget 3 times as big. True hunters never throw in the towel! Congrats on a great year! Hope to see more.

Thanks o.g., Glad you liked it!  The Cartier bracelet is not the most valuable thing that I have ever found but I still consider it a/the "find of a lifetime".  I guess it depends on one's definition. I see your point and that is why I'll never say that something is "the best thing that I will ever find"-I still have plenty of things on my bucket list!

BTW, congrats on those amazing nuggets- what a thrill it must have been to see those coming out of the ground! 😮

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Compass said:

The Cartier bracelet is not the most valuable thing that I have ever found but I still consider it a/the "find of a lifetime".

I think that two part Cartier find is the detectorprospector story of the year.

IMO it's OK to change labels.  "Find of a lifetime" can be "Find of my lifetime up to this point."  And who says you aren't allowed more than one Find of a Lifetime?  Further, if you really like what you do then even if you knew you'd never again reach such a lofty accomplishment you can still continue to enjoy the ride.  But the fact is, as you guys have been discussing, you don't know what's in the next hole.  That's what keeps me coming back.

I look forward to your continued reports.  I don't think you've found the last of the good stuff.  😉

"I think that two part Cartier find is the detectorprospector story of the year."

Wow, thanks GBA- that is quite the compliment! Well, it certainly is my story of the year and perhaps the best one in all my years of detecting- so far.

"...who says you aren't allowed more than one Find of a Lifetime?"

I definitely agree with this. A 2-carat diamond solitaire ring, Tiffany platinum diamond ring, family heirloom ring (and return), gold coins and other items were also finds of a lifetime for me. 

"Further, if you really like what you do then even if you knew you'd never again reach such a lofty accomplishment you can still continue to enjoy the ride." 

If I knew that I would never again find anything as nice as this Cartier bracelet I'm sure that I would still enjoy metal detecting but it's pretty exciting knowing that those higher value targets are out there and you just never know when they will show up in your scoop.

• Like 3