Went To Local Beach Today For A Little While. Found A Buffalo Nickel.

Can't tell the date. Was using the Equinox 800 in Gold 1. This is the first Buffalo Nickel I found that could tell what the date was. In my regular ground, the ground balance is around 10. Ground balance on the wet beach on lake was 68.

Buffalo Nickel.jpg

• Like 9

Still a good find for the condition and I wish you more luck on your next hunt.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By rod-pa
      I went out to an old farmhouse with ozzie today. Located on a ridge, made for strong wind and a cold cold rain.  A lot of the soil around the house seemed like modern, terribly junk laden fill...pull tabs and broken bolts at 8 inches, etc.
      Equinox at 24 sense, disc off, recovery 3.

Down to my last half hour and feeling a bit bummed....finally had a soft soft but repeatable high tone.  Pinpoint could barely get it...low grunts mixed in, but everything was so faint it had to be dug. Dug a full shovel length plug.  Pinpointer was fully in the hole and buzzing in center....Great sign...carefully cut again into the dirt and could see the silver edge...too wide for a dime...
      No complaints here!

1 reale, 1801, mexico mint

Happy hunting, all!

• By F350Platinum
      I had to go get the first of 2 flu vaccine shots this afternoon so I decided to go out and get some relic hunting in this morning. Went down a hill in back of my house that I think is a trash dump site dating back quite a bit.
      There was a tremendous amount of iron present, but the Equinox did what it does best - tell ya where the good stuff is. Ground balance was about 53, I was in my trusty Farm 2 mode with all metal on, F2/0. Sensitivity 22.
      Got me a small pile of trash, I was only hunting about a half acre overlooking the river.
      Found these old Mason jar seals, usually I find them broken.
      Got a Big ol' ax head, put a penny on it for size:
      And now the finds. Bit of back story, the first button I ever found with a metal detector was from a WW1 military jacket...
      Thought I found another ox knob but it doesn't have threads. 1983 dime, beautiful 1939 wheat penny, a no date wheat. Model T Ford key, back code 69. Could be related to the hubcap I dug in the landing, and the, uh, model T Ford I found in the woods! 😀  Marble, came up with one of the coins. I think it's the kind that is in a paint can to stir the paint. It seemed to have a metal shroud around it, might have been part of the the can. Lug nut with "R". Military device clip, probably for a medal or badge.
      Centerpiece is the find of the day. It took a while to get the stamp to come up, had to use a grill brush and steel wool.
      When you find a dog tag it is obligatory (to me anyway) to find out who it is and attempt to find the family. This is a post-WW1 dog tag for the Marine Corps. The date is the enlistment date.
      Theodore H. Coleman, thanks for your service. 🇺🇲
      It may be related not only to the device clip, but to the jacket button I found along the road back in August.
    • By Kaolin washer
      I have been using the ORX and doing well but have not found any coins, and i think i have hunted this unhunted spot now 10 rimes or more, But this time i got out the big gun , the DEUS in full tones, using Coin fast,  it started squeeking out shot shells and brass things, one after the other , then my 1st coin on the spot came out a 1923 wheat. and not long after that the 1872 shield Nickle, I was using 8.4 KHZ and it came thru for me .and its deep to  

• By F350Platinum
      Went early today to the larger beach. Another beautiful day, even the water was tolerable. Low tide is strange here, you go from having about 50 feet of beach to over 200. It's difficult to read but thanks to advice I've been getting from y'all I did great, at least for me and the 4 hours I was out.
      I searched along the tidal pools for a while, walked about a mile. Didn't find much of anything, not even an iron grunt until I found a couple of coins and this metal anvil. I assume it's for making jewelry. Shown with the ring I dug yesterday for size:
      Ran into a guy swinging an Equinox like a golf club, thought of getting a video, it was comical. Exchanged pleasantries and moved on. Only detector I saw all morning.
      Did a little more beach reading, some advice I got was to go knee to waist deep in the water, but the tide was so far out from where it normally is it didn't seem worth it, so instead coming back I aligned myself at knee to waist level to high tide. Here is a photo taken from where low tide was:
      Here is a shot showing the slope and where I found the coin line:
      The umbrella is at high tide. Hit the coin line! Did pretty good for a novice in only about 1/2 mile:
      1970 Mexican Cinquenta Centavos piece, (fitty cent), 4 relatively new clad quarters, Jeff nickel, dime, and a memorial. Most money I found so far. Copper bracelet and a Stainless spinner ring.
      Best find of the day and hence the title:
      Little gold wave ring. ID'd at 1. Not sure if it's solid gold but it's certainly 24k plated, really waxy feel. No marks. My wife loves it. Found it leaving at the entrance. She took the spinner too. 😀
      Here's my take on that - People get to the beach and are so glad to be here they run and drop all their stuff. I found the bracelet and both rings near the beach entrance along with the Mexican coin and the Jefferson. By then there were so many people in the beach it was time to go.
      Tomorrow I'm hitting the areas early where everyone sets up . 😈
    • By F350Platinum
      Another beautiful day here, what a week so far. Every day is getting warmer.
      Today I put my water shoes on, got my CooB scoop and Limbsaver detector sling and hit the beach early with the Equinox. I went to the fishing beach again because I really haven't done all this and it was better to try it out in a place with fewer people. The main beach is loaded by 9 AM.
      Hit those odd piles in the sand again, found nothing but crusty Zincolns so I moved down to the water. That area must be a place where detectorists dump junk coins or something. 🤔 Wasn't disappointed for long, one quarter, my first Jefferson nickel ever, and a beautiful 1967 penny, along with the 2014 penny that must have been recently dropped. The '67 was DEEP. I found the coin line and those 4 popped right up, one after another. Sad that the streak didn't continue.
      Using the scoop was pretty cool, the sling kept me from picking my detector up all the time. Dig and sweep.  It was especially great near the water because I didn't care if the hole filled up with water. What made it even more interesting was dealing with these:
      Virtual mini tsunami when they pass. All the water disappears and then the 5 foot wake comes in. Fun. Carrying the scoop wasn't bad either, it weighs about 3 pounds, half what the M16 I used to carry weighed.
      At one point I thought I wasn't going to find anything else, I turned inland to avoid some fishermen, and bam. Got a solid 6. Y'all gave me such great advice, I dug that sucker and got me a nice Tungsten ring. Fits perfectly. Thanks! 
      I hope to find my wife something nice tomorrow. 
    • By F350Platinum
      Kinda cold this morning, but it was slack low tide when I went to the beach. It's only about 1/2 mile from where I am.
      Spent about 2 hours going over where I went yesterday but at lower levels of the 10 foot tide. There are almost "hourly" cuts in the sand, but it is more from the cargo ships on the Savannah River. When they pass 3-5 foot waves hit the shore. Came back on the towel line, but the lower cuts were more fruitful. Thought I'd get near a mussel patch thinking it might trap coins, but even though there were good IDs I couldn't dig more than 2 inches with my composite trowel. It was also a waste to try anything close to the water without a scoop, the holes filled in immediately.
      Dug two of everything! I was surprised that a '95 quarter would look as good as a 2018. It's probably because it is still in circulation. Got one recognizable Zincoln, a '98, and one totally encrusted.
      At first I thought I had 3 pennies but it turned out one was a dime. It is totally green. The other may yet give up a date but it is a Roosevelt.
      Two bronze beads finish it up. I know this isn't a big deal, but those beads are really small and were a solid 22.
      Got a bunch of sinkers, one bottle cap (f2/0 seems to make 'em go below 11), and a blue pull tab. Got a 12" piece of stainless steel tubing out of there that would have cored a foot.
      I can only imagine how much I would find if I could spend all day like I do on the farm.