On 11/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

If you have huge beaches or fields that stretch for miles, hard to beat a steveg balanced Equinox with 15x12 coil. I don’t see a Deus replacing this….

I went with this exact setup recently with my 800 based on your prior recommendations. Considered a Whites Surf PI Dual for about the same cash, but don't plan on getting in the surf much (can't fit into my wetsuit anymore for starters). The added benefit when using the Nox in open land made it a better investment.

The Deus II seems exceptional, but is it better than a Nox with a full complement of coils and accessories? For diving certainly, but I think the answer for most needn't factor that in. That said, I want a Deus II. But $1600 will go a long way toward paying for an SDC 2300 next year or future discriminating PI I need for nugget detecting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Deus II on pre-order.

I've got a lot of time on the Equinox 800. I hunt in 5 tones 100% of the time in some seriously trashy places. Most of them have both old iron and modern aluminum trash. I can pick out good targets with the 800 in Park2 and neither dig an inordinate amount of iron or aluminum unless it's somehow round and reads in the coin range. Do I just know the detector that well or is it that good at honing in on coins. All I know is I pull all types of coins coins from some horribly trashy places without that much trash or iron being dug.. I have a Deus too. No way can I do that with a Deus.  In some spots I wouldn't even try. Granted I don't know it as well, but I think part of the reason is because it just doesn't work where there is much aluminum trash.

Point of this post is I find the Equinox 800 close to magic at zeroing in on fairly shallow coins in horrendous trash or even really deep coins where trash is somewhat more sparse. It's like I said I almost instantly know that's a coin. Is it recovery speed or is it something else entirely? The Deus II is blazing fast, but is it going to call everything a coin? This is one of the reasons I thought XP and N/M might have trouble equaling the Equinox 800. I've dropped the coin on the Deus II, but I will be really surprised if it can do what the Equinox does in places with lots of mixed trash.   

• Like 5