Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

So how did it compare while sitting on the ground to the parts of my video with it just running the built-in speaker?

Better than where your detector was completely unstable at the beginning, and where it got unstable a few seconds again after turning your Torus off.  But about the same as that point where you first turned the torus off and it started to get chattery but not totally unstable. Too chattery for my liking, but right when it'd just about sound like it wanted to go totally unstable, it'd back off and just stay chattery. 

I noise cancelled once after starting. Then about 5 or 6 times after it was sitting stable, and the subsequent noise cancels made it worse, not better.

I'm hesitant to draw many conclusions though, because this is a spot I've never run this detector before so my frame of reference is slim at best. 

If I had to take a random guess based off the very slim experience running it though, I'd either say they didn't redesign the main board for this fix, or if they did it was a lot of effort for lackluster results. 

But, I'm hopeful when I get further away from town and into the goldfields it'll be better. And it didn't go totally unstable setting on the ground here so that was a positive result I'm hoping too.

*edit: I should add, there were moments the threshold was actually close to what you hear in your Torus too. Especially when not moving. But as usual, the more input the detector got, the closer it'd seem to get to losing stability. I swear it seems like the cpu can only handle so much and then if too much noise happens at once it just goes downhill from there and has trouble recovering without a reset. 

That still seems to be the case, even if it's running a bit quieter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

If I understand all this correctly I would have a defective machine also. I purchased it in December of last year from Gerry. Not that it is his fault! I have always wore the head phones but yesterday I had forgot them. It does get really unstable without them.

I was going to post a video from my iPhone but can’t figure out how to do it.

I will try this: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billdean said:

If I understand all this correctly I would have a defective machine also. I purchased it in December of last year from Gerry. Not that it is his fault! I have always wore the head phones but yesterday I had forgot them. It does get really unstable without them.

Yep, send it off!   No point having a faulty machine when you don't have to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billdean said:

I was going to post a video from my iPhone but can’t figure out how to do it.

The only way to put videos here is if you upload your video to a site like Vimeo or YouTube first then just post a link to it here. That’s what I did with my video above showing the built-in speaker instability issue.

while you’re at it also check your coils for ear cracks, you have a three-year warranty on those as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

The only way to put videos here is if you upload your video to a site like Vimeo or YouTube first then just post a link to it here. That’s what I did with my video above showing the built-in speaker instability issue.

while you’re at it also check your coils for ear cracks, you have a three-year warranty on those as well.

Thanks GotAU…….I finally got the video posted!

• Like 1

Ok, to end the speculation it is not a replacement mainboard.  Most likely these are the components being replaced with better ones.

896551775_gpxmobo.jpg.06e2bc63cd259737c9ce03d432056fd1.jpg

Certainly number 2, and either 1 or the one marked possible.

• Like 2

Hard to know, if you look at the photo of the 2nd board, right above the FPGA you can see a date of manufacture at the beginning of 2019, or over 3.5 years ago. These pics are probably prototype boards that may have changed. But the toroid is probably a good guess, and that black component you point out does look like a tiny inductor.

image.png.1b45964f1d690cb39620907d8925457e.png

There are also 3 either inductors or inductor beads under the FPGA too, these are near the speaker. 

image.png.161d0a68cc7001b1aa3ded2a8defdeae.png

• Like 2

Good spotting, I didn't notice the little ones as I didn't zoom in.

54 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Ok, to end the speculation it is not a replacement mainboard.  Most likely these are the components being replaced with better ones.

896551775_gpxmobo.jpg.06e2bc63cd259737c9ce03d432056fd1.jpg

Certainly number 2, and either 1 or the one marked possible.

The chokes (1) make sense, and the coil (2)- but what is that “possible” part?

It's looking like an inductor, hard to tell as I can't zoom the photo enough to keep the quality, Jason could well be right with the 3 inductors he's posted a picture of.  It is probably not the choke, plus it'd suck for them if it was, a pain to replace that 🙂