Would A Used Gpx-4500 Package Be Worth Considering?

Az_Ed

I noticed a used GPX-4500 available locally.  Includes 4 coils, 3 extra stems, 3 battery packs, harness and headphones.  It looks like it is used little.  I know the 4500 was discontinued in 2020.  I have never used a Minelab but I've seen them find Au twice during group outings.  Currently I'm running an XP Deus which I've run for hundreds of hours without finding Au.  I've found everything else, right down to many tiny fragments of bullets.  I'm keen on nugget-shooting in remote areas.  Would the 4500 be a good choice at this point in time for a nugget shooting upgrade?  Approximate cost is $2400 for the package, which is a lot of kroner for a hobbyist who has not yet found any Au.  Any suggestions and comments are welcome.  Ed, Tucson, Az.

5 hours ago, Az_Ed said:

I noticed a used GPX-4500 available locally.  Includes 4 coils, 3 extra stems, 3 battery packs, harness and headphones.  It looks like it is used little.  I know the 4500 was discontinued in 2020.  I have never used a Minelab but I've seen them find Au twice during group outings.  Currently I'm running an XP Deus which I've run for hundreds of hours without finding Au.  I've found everything else, right down to many tiny fragments of bullets.  I'm keen on nugget-shooting in remote areas.  Would the 4500 be a good choice at this point in time for a nugget shooting upgrade?  Approximate cost is $2400 for the package, which is a lot of kroner for a hobbyist who has not yet found any Au.  Any suggestions and comments are welcome.  Ed, Tucson, Az.

Sounds like you must have low mineralized ground where you detect as the XP sounds like it's working fine for you since you are finding small bullet fragments. So sounds like you just are needing to get the coil over a nugget for now.

If not a hot ground issue then the Pulse Induction GPX will only give you a depth advantage on the larger deeper nuggets over the XP but with less discrimination capabilities. But If you are dealing with very mineralized ground then you could benefit using a pulse induction detector over your XP, since VLF's drop in performance quickly when used on this kind of ground. 

The 5000 did add more timings including Fine Gold, Coin/Relic, and also a refined Salt timing over the 4500. Even the ground balance and Enhance timing was better refined on the 5000.

I do have a 5000 in the classified adds for a price comparison of what a 4500 should sell for.

The added link below from Steve H. will help in describing the difference in the older GPX series.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.  The history of the Minelab evolution is most interesting.  I'll keep my eye on the used market for a good value. 

• Like 1

I'm getting too old for this.  Can't remember what I owned.  Deleted my post.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Sad 1

The Minelab GPX4500 is the best selling PI detector in history. I found over AU$50K worth of gold with the 2 that I owned. Modded, with a small flat wound coil, its a superb machine. 

As a fan of the ML 4500 I would say its fair deal. You get a variety of coils and lower rods, 3 battery packs and accessories. Found gold that weighed in at 0.07 to 🤐. A well campable machine, the rest is up to the user and finding access to good locations. Best day was when I stepped up from  a goldmaster to P.I.

• Like 1