Sign in to follow this  
Tony

White's... What Is Going On Please With The TDI Beach Hunter?

I walked out of my house this morning and was meet by a three legged dog . He for whatever reason was missing his right back leg .Now this dog was making his way with what he had and looked happy wagging his tail.

I know you’re wanting to know what to Sam Hill this have to do with the TDI Beach Hunter. Well I’m getting there!

I’m wanting the Beach Hunter and I understand what some problem it may be on the run time detecting for the young and strong. At my point in life I’m like the dog in I’ll live with it and make do just the way it is. Oh I’ve done mods on things and some worked out but others was a down hill slide from the beginning.

You know how some old girls will hide their money around on their clothing ! Well I was checking my wife out to see if she was hiding some and she’s thinking the old man came alive. Heck all I wanted was enough money to put with what I had to buy the Beach Hunter .

I’m about as unlucky as that three legged dog.He can still wag his tail and mine is too short to wag.

Chuck

• Like 3

In the overall scheme of things, a HI/LOW switch is far from a deal breaker, especially on the beach where I will retrieve all targets except those with a large "signature", such as tent pegs and beer cans. Having said that, I will dig up full beer cans....😶

Tony

9 hours ago, tboykin said:

I have a couple of these printed packs. They will fit in the case with some modification. So will the super hot 16v battery pack I have.

Officially White's can't endorse a 16v battery due to the increased chances of component wear and heat generated by the large caps on the board.

The 18650's diameter prevents use in this waterproof case without a slight modification (2 minutes of Dremel action) on the inside of the case. This may void your warranty.

The 14500's have the right size to use in a battery holder but usually come out about 750mAh. You could do 4 x 2, get 14.8 volts out of it but only have 1500 mAh. Less time to hunt than the OEM pack.

All of these things are options for intrepid DIYers, but our goals were 1) release this in a timely manner before the competition 2) keep the price of the detector reasonable and 3) don't push the hardware to the point of failure.

I know it's not ideal, but at the worst you can carry an extra battery in a waterproof case or baggie with your wallet/keys/phone. And at least you will still have a nice deep seeking PI before fall of 2018.

This project is more of a "Huh, that's a good idea. Why wasn't this done before?" vs. making a huge engineering project out of it.

Tom,

Thanks for the battery information.....The 3D printed packs will hold the 3 x 18650 cells but how is the 16V pack done? I'm guessing another custom build using the standard penlight AA holder?

Where does the printed pack need modifying with the Dremel, and what run time can be had with the 3 x 16850 at 3400mah?

Thanks,

Tony

If only there was a way to connect/solder a generic power lead to the actual internal detector's battery contacts and then use whatever custom NiMH or Li-Ion battery pack that will fit inside the battery area.

Thoughts on using a high quality silver based epoxy/adhesive to electrically connect a power lead to the detector's battery contacts ?

On 8/15/2018 at 8:00 AM, tboykin said:

Gosh, it looks like we do have a waterproof TDI after all! 

Ships with a Heavy Duty battery for longer run time and also has increased sensitivity and stability due to the hardwired coil. A bonus we did not expect!

Want a mono coil? Coiltek? Miner John? Etc? We are working on setting that up in "White's Custom Shop." Or if you are handy you can DIY (note: this will void your warranty).

Sorry for not having more info earlier. We like to tell our dealers first and wait until products are ready to ship.

Now excuse me while I jump in the Klamath River and find some nice nugs in the bedrock.

Tom,

If we were to provide suitable new coils to White's for fitting then would our warranty remain intact. Would we get a credit on the stock dual field coil?

Thanks,

Tony

On 8/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, Tony said:

Tom,

If we were to provide suitable new coils to White's for fitting then would our warranty remain intact. Would we get a credit on the stock dual field coil?

Thanks,

Tony

Still working out the details.

whats this TDi cost and is it comparable to the original or ?

-Tom V.