Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Repairing Broken Ears On Search Coil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I admire his patience but it appears that if you take there time to do the job right you will wind up with a superior repair job. I have a coil that I will fix more or less like the video shows. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jmaryt
      hi steve!
       what do you think of this new coil?
      do you believe it is good for trashy sites?
      it appears to be a "compromise" to me! 

(h.h.!)
      j.t.

• By RickUK
      I have a question regarding Whites DF coils on the TDI Pro or 'sl' and other variations,i am aware the difference between say a DD and Mono coils etc,but how would the experts describe the DF coils as in the stock and 7.5'' DF coils are these classes as 2 Mono coils within one another or have i got this completely wrong.
      As far as i can tell both the inner and outer coils within the coil case operate complete independent from one another,anyone have knowledge on how one would describe these DF coils,of course i could be totally wrong and would like some help from the electronic whizzkids 🙂
      Many thanks
    • By ysabxe
      If you don't want to lose depth and get perfect discrimination in any soil you need custom coil. Here some tests with subs
      Скачать видео Скачать видео  
    • By Reg Wilson
      Responding to Peter in SA.
      Back in the mid 1980s I had been involved in the introduction of the Minelab GS15000 metal detector at Wedderburn in central Victoria. The early Minelab crew were a bunch of clever people from Adelaide university who got together to produce an Australian made metal detector which could challenge the big American companies. Wedderburn was chosen for testing and development due to its reputation of having very mineralized, difficult soil conditions. A number of Australian built detectors had failed to live up to expectations, defeated mainly by the hot soil conditions in Western Australia and central Victoria. The GS15000 proved to be a better machine for these conditions than its competitors and soon gained acceptance throughout the gold detecting fraternity.
      Craig Hughes, who was part of that early team came up with the idea of a coil towed behind an ATV. An area near the famous 'potato patch' just out of Weddurburn was chosen for testing, using a Honda three wheel ATV (horrible unstable beast of a machine). The coil was fairly small, but I can't recall the exact size. A GS15000 provided the electronics, and although noisy, did work with a small bit of gold recovered. (a few grams) Even though the manual ground balance made for uncomfortable detecting, the concept had been proven, much to our surprise.
      In 1987 I was involved with the testing of the GT16000, which was the first ever automatic ground tracking. This machine was a major breakthrough and really put Minelab on the map as a serious contender for the title of the world's best gold detector. It dawned on me that the feasibility of tow detecting was a reality now that a detector could stay balanced automatically, and I contacted Don McCoy, one of the original Minelab team and asked him to build me a coil suitable for towing. The result was a rectangular coil about 3' x 2' which was very stable and sensitive. I purchased a Yamaha 4 wheel ATV as a tow vehicle and with the addition of a suppressor managed to keep the EMI to a minimum. The first day of testing yielded a 6oz lump, which was a big surprise, and paid for the ATV in one hit. I sent Don some nice specimens as payment for the coil. I later sold that coil through Miners Den in Melbourne when the SD2200 was introduced.
      The SD2200 was of course the first auto ground tracking pulse induction detector, and naturally I soon made plans to adapt this concept to 'sledding'. John Hider-Smith, Ian Jaques and myself had been involved in prototype testing of Minelabs first pulse induction detector, and Bruce Candy had taught john how to wind mono coils. One of Johns coils was used in the first PI tow coil testing where we discovered that a 4 stroke engine was not feasible due to the high susceptibility of PI to EMI. With experimentation we discovered that diesel was the way to go as no spark was required for the engine to run, and an isolation switch for the alternator solved any EMI problems. We later used a GPX4000 which worked even better. 
      I have to close now due to having to shut down internet but will add further details later.
    • By Noah (FL)
      I’ve always been interested in this platform, someday I’ll find one for the right price and jump on it.  With the talk of the new BountyHunter offering I was poking around reading posts and watching videos regarding these machines and stumbled across an odd one.  According to the First Texas coil chart this coil isn’t supposed to work with this platform, yet here is Bill from DirtFishing using the little 6” concentric elliptical for the F70/75 on the F19????  Anyone else have any experience with this??  He doesn’t show any steel bottle cap responses unfortunately but this could add to these machines ability for foil/jewelry hunting in those bottle cap ridden park/picnic areas