Aussies In The Bush

How far offroad do you guys go in the more remote areas? Is it feasible to get a camper in far enough that you can use it as a basecamp and radiate outwards 50 or so miles for 1-3 day prospecting excursions and make bi-weekly trips to town for water/food/gas? I'm assuming no cell/data service in those areas but do you have satellite internet that works out there?

Over here I never have to travel offroad more than 5 or so miles because we have such an extensive network of old 2-tracks (not sure if that's what you call them). Once you get into the bush do these dissapear completely or do you guys have them too?

I've dreamed of doing a long prospecting trip into the bush over there for years, just curious how its done. The above described is more or less what I do here, live out of my camper full time and get it as close to the areas I hunt as possible. Was wondering how it'd need to change going over there.

How far offroad do you guys go in the more remote areas? Is it feasible to get a camper in far enough that you can use it as a basecamp and radiate outwards 50 or so miles for 1-3 day prospecting excursions and make bi-weekly trips to town for water/food/gas? I'm assuming no cell/data service in those areas but do you have satellite internet that works out there?

Over here I never have to travel offroad more than 5 or so miles because we have such an extensive network of old 2-tracks (not sure if that's what you call them). Once you get into the bush do these dissapear completely or do you guys have them too?

I've dreamed of doing a long prospecting trip into the bush over there for years, just curious how its done. The above described is more or less what I do here, live out of my camper full time and get it as close to the areas I hunt as possible. Was wondering how it'd need to change going over there.

Unlike the US most of Australia's Roads are around the Edge near the coast, when you head in land you can drive all day and never see another soul,, You can Take campers out there But you just have to take it easy, But You Need a Caravan/Camper Trailer Like This One if you want The Deluxe Tour,lol

This is A Mild version of the Terrain that you will come Across,,Enjoy,, john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYJC01YxeM&index=15&list=PLb507Hf9sl9iKUCwW0PDtiGYQcNenB840

A lot of people here do that too mate. Get as close as they can then set up base camp. They will then do day trips with their 4wd or a lot have motorbikes or quad bikes. The tracks do dissapear in places hence the advantage of the bikes.

Not sure about satellite internet but for the very remote areas & if in Western Australia I would take a satellite phone, good GPS, decent 2 way radios & even a PLB/EPIRB.

Australia is really too vast & diverse to give a complete answer as it would be very dependant on the area/s you wanted to go. An all 4wd set up, as shown above, is obviously going to give you the most versatility but trips can be & are done with on road gear, you just limit how far off the track you can get.

Some set ups I found on an Aussie forum that may be of interest:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1293

My campsite is shown at the start of this video I did a few years ago.

We have done 4 laps of Australia in this caravan and been to nearly every goldfield. Shower/toilet etc built in. Solar for the beer fridge. No need to rough it.

My campsite is shown at the start of this video I did a few years ago.

We have done 4 laps of Australia in this caravan and been to nearly every goldfield. Shower/toilet etc built in. Solar for the beer fridge. No need to rough it.

What A great little spot, Thanks Trent for the Great Video,,  Thumbs Up For the Mrs Good Camera Work,

I'd like to see a Bit More dedication Involving The Beer Mate, we have do have Standards to up Hold,lol

Seriously Great Video.

John

PS, I Subscribed to your channel

post-625-0-41076800-1435617203_thumb.jpg

Simple but very effective, all camping gear, recovery gear, detectors stored in the roll out drawers, with further pockets down each side of drawers holding battery etc. Note the solar panels Sikaflexed to canopy roof. The 12v fridge has a dedicated insulated freezer section rh end. Mattress is thrown on flat surface above drawers with only the fridge being needed to move out for sleep time. In front of the flat bed surface is a 55 litre permanently fitted water tank with 20l containers taken for longer stays. Usually cook over open fire, with a little Coleman spirit single burner for a quick hot meal. Vehicle has a electric winch mounted on bull bar. Have also a canvas fully enclosed annex that attaches and is carried on rear roof bar, for the extended travelling. Because most places I score gold have no road access, camp must be 4WD mobile and self contained.