Threshold Poll

I run one or two. Headphones 95% of the time.

No. 1 and I use headphones always. I would rather have the depth and sensitivity. I like learning all the tones and chatters so I can identify the good targets. It's almost like, when I'm detecting I listen for the oddball tone - that one that is not among the chatter and odd tones, the zip. Of course, we all do that even with a smooth thresh hold but to get the max from the machine I push myself to learn the bad - it's all right there, just listen.

First, I must stress, I learn to run the machine perfectly smooth and I do that for lots of outings. Once learned how to master the machine I go for more power, little by little, learning the tones along the way. This can't be jumped into and takes nerve cause it can drive a person batty.

Volume on detector high, when available, then adjust headphones to just audible.

Ok,  - even a blind man could find gold the way I work. Ok?

• Like 1

With the 7000 I'm finding tiny nuggets at unheard of depths but I need the threshold as smooth as I can get it to do so. If an area is producing I will cover it again using something near S.H.s "incredibly hot" settings.  I use head phones so that the rattle snakes don't distract me.

• Like 2

Actually after using the XP Deus for a bit I have been running my CTX without threshold with great results.  It allows higher sensitivity on sites full of rubbish and with an open screen, it allows the real iffy tones to pop through.  When I am on a site with coins I run 0 threshold and about 26 sen or even higher if I can.

• Like 1