Metal Detecting Acronyms, Terms, & Definitions

Metal detecting has a lot of jargon that makes little sense to beginners. I’ve thought about starting a list on this website, but the fact is it’s been done in quite a few places already. While I still might put one together myself, for now here is a link that can give you all the definitions anyone might need.

Metal Detector Terms & Definitions via Google

Tesoro put out a great catalog in 2010 that included a lot of extra information, including a glossary starting on page 58. You can download it for free here.

I'm sure the newbies would find it helpful. Most of the "Detectionaries" I've seen don't have a lot of the slang we use. The technical terms can be looked up. The slang can be more of a challenge. When we talk of "slaw" or "junker", or "TC" or "stew" (AKA cooked slaw, fire ring nugget, or just "nugget" with us beach hunters), they just get a quizzical look on their face. I'm sure there are tons of other ones If I sat down and thought about it. Then add the slang the members in other countries use, and you would have a pretty good sized book!