Gold Detecting In The Philippines

Seems like it would be a great adventure. While everyone has their own comfort levels with regards to possibly dangerous places off the beaten path, I feel like the fears of some are excessive. I have traveled by myself to a few places many people would have considered no go zones with no problems. I made two solo trips to the Russian far east in the mid 90's shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the first time illegally (my visa was only good for St Petersburg thousands of miles from Khabarovsk where I landed). The other trip was 10 days in Pakistan's Northwest frontier province after flying into Peshawar. Luckily for this trip I knew a guy there who's sons took me all over the area, they even took to me to the Khyber pass on the Afghan border and we walked across into Afghanistan. This was at the time the Russians were fighting in Afghanistan and the US was helping provide missiles to the Mujahideen, so Americans weren't as controversial in the area as now. I found many of the locals in both places friendly and helpful, they were often impressed that I was willing to travel to their area alone. A key point to these trips being successful was likely hooking up with locals, especially since I didn't speak more than a few words od their language. 

8 hours ago, GOLDFINGER007 said:

i think what people see on tv is not really whats happening in some of these places,i feel totaly safe and people bend over backwards to help you.

What people see on TV does really happen, just not all the time.

Yes they are good people everywhere, a majority really that will bend over backwards to help you...but in some places such as parts of the Philippines you never know when you may meet up with the bad people of the world who would just as soon rob, kidnap or murder you, so it's really a gamble IMHO and I wish you luck and safe ventures!! 

So just keep your wits about you and don't trust all you meet!!

guys what would be a good beginers metal detector ,ive looked at equinox and minelab 1000,the terrain in the phils is not exactly friendly,and should i buy one there or in australia ? ive seen some do fold up to put in a suitcase,but carry on a plane im not sure with a battery ,airlines dont like that in the luggage,been doing a bit of searching about fosickers licence ,but they call it a small mining licence with no heavy machinery.and the office is in manilla.

Ive only tried around a couple sites in Luzon and the soil is as mild as it gets, compared to Australia.  A Gold Monster would be fine, or any other HF VLF detector. Just that there are places where trash is considerable. So use something that has ferrous ID or basic discrim. 

In my 2 trips to the Phil. I got ripped off twice, attempted pick-pocketted numerous times, dodged street gags who were known to abduct westerers etc.  Once money or potential valuables come into play, there can be trouble. A detector is like a red flag to a bull over there....be careful. Get your detector freighted via Fedex (with insurance) as long as the tax isnt too much.

ok thanks for that,i cant belive all the troubles people have had in the phils,i have never come across it ,i guess i just mind my own buisness,as i dont go to bars and drink im more interested the province areas.and i always have pocket full of small peso bills or coins to hand out ,as lots of beggers are like magnet to a foriegnner ,i watched a few videos on you tube about some do;s and donts with a detector,like steel cap boots and personal jewelry ,some of the places i checked out had the hell blasted out of them by dynomite to take the whole side of the rocks out and so many big rocks along the beach had the marking of man made tools to get the gold or mineral out of them,the terrain is thick and well worth a go i reckon as my guide is the husband of my wifes sister and their family has been there for 4 generations ,when i went there i was treated like a god,cant wait to get back maybe this year again as i only just got back.