I've always said gold miners are some of the smartest and most ingenuitive people to make their way into the wild west. Just seeing the old workings, mills, flumes, ditches, ect that they built in order to find their fortunes never ceases to amaze me. I believe in order to be successful still today takes a bit of this same smarts.  This story starts last fall. While out detecting a small ravine with previous working for the better part of a day, I found myself missing the plastic bolt and nut to my coil on my GB2. I searched for about 15 min, but the grass and pine needles made it impossible to find the little black pieces. It was close to the end of the day anyway so I called it early went home cracked a cold one and ordered myself 3 sets of bolts and nuts to make sure i had extras for when this happens to me again. Now flash forward into last weekend, I found myself in the same predicament. Thinking, AHA! im prepared! I found myself tearing my backpack apart, but alas, they were not to be found there. Since this was the beginning of my day, and I had hiked 2 miles over two ridges 500' high through a maze of fallen tress to get to this spot on a drizzling day, I started brainstorming. Reaching into my inner MacGyver, I start looking at the ground around me, I figure there must be a twig that could fit just right. After attempting several different twigs, I found one that fits just right. Its snug to get in. I believe its gonna work. My partner with me shakes his head and goes off detecting as the previous two twigs were too small and my coil was just floppy. I pick up my detector and go off and start swinging. Seams to be working, in fact, because the twig is snug, the coil is not floppy and is working great! Several hours pass, my partner gets the first piece, ~0.25g piece. Cool now we know there is detectable gold here. another hour passes and my twig is holding in there, I hear a good sounding signal. Babam! my piece for the day! and its a bit bigger (bragging rights! 😁) We finish the day out not finding any more pieces as the rain was starting to wear on us. We hiked our way out happy that we proved gold in another location. 

I have since been out twice for a couple hours and my twig is still holding on in there. I could just put the new bolt and nut on but im curious to see if the twig last longer 😆. Maybe it can be the stock inventory item for the Gold Bug 2! This just shows you, even though its no engineering feat like an 18 mile long flume or a mine shaft that sinks 1000's of feet, it pays to not give up and to use your smarts!

Just another story from one happy prospector 

IMG-9206 .jpg

IMG-9215.jpg

IMG-9214.jpg

Great story Dan, I've been there myself, more than once. My truck I use is packing mud around the threads. When it dries, it holds in there pretty good and it stops the nut from working further off the bolt. If it weathers off, I have more mud easily available, even if no mud is around. A little water and more can be made. This has worked well for a few years now. Nice gold, glad you are getting out and finding some. How is the Van conversion coming along?

Making the best of a bad situation turned a little golden for you.

I always carry a few zip ties with me when traveling as they can come in handy in so many ways.  

Your Macgyver gold nuggets are a treat and thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Great story Dan, I've been there myself, more than once. My truck I use is packing mud around the threads. When it dries, it holds in there pretty good and it stops the nut from working further off the bolt. If it weathers off, I have more mud easily available, even if no mud is around. A little water and more can be made. This has worked well for a few years now. Nice gold, glad you are getting out and finding some. How is the Van conversion coming along?

Van conversion?   You must have me confused for someone else. lol 

I also figure I will just put some loctite 425 on the nut next time. 

A small piece I cut off of a bar of ivory soap, whittled down to a wedge, stopped the gas leak on my truck when the tank was punctured.  Fuel and oil wont dissolve soap, so it makes for a good emergency plug. Saved the day for some more fun out there!