Deus Deux Very Solid Tid

scoopjohnb

2 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Maybe not a matter related to this thread, but I would really appreciate a simplified but descriptive explanation of the use of pitch where it is based not on conductivity but strength of signal based on size (density/conductivity?) and depth. I’ve not used pitch mode much because I don’t really get it. How do you interrogate targets using pitch mode?   I know some of you guys really prefer it for relic hunting and I want to understand and use it. Thanks. 

The thing about pitch (i.e., drawback) is that you lose target tone ID audio and are more dependent on visual target ID input to make a dig decision.  Therefore, I only use pitch audio in situations where I am mostly digging all non-ferrous targets amongst iron.  With Deus, pitch works best when you are using discrimination to filter iron with or without iron volume engaged (I prefer Iron volume on).  Therefore, what you get with Pitch are likely non-ferrous targets popping out of the ferrous audio muck.  It's like two-tone audio on steroids.  Since pitch audio intensity varies with target strength, besides alerting you to non-ferrous targets, it gives you a relative target footprint (where you can decide if you want to bypass a larger beer can sized target at your peril) and/or rough target relative depth similar to pinpoint mode (but unlike pinpoint which is static, pitch relies on coil motion) .  You can either just dig the likely non-ferrous target based on audio alone or glance at the visual target ID to help you make a dig decision.  I use it mainly as a search mode and less as a target interrogation mode because of the lack of target tone ID audio.

This is more of a relic mode for recovery of mid and high conductor targets in areas where there is minimal modern non-ferrous trash contamination.  As such, it is really not suitable for coin shooting in a park or in similar situations where modern non-ferrous (e g., aluminum) trash is prevalent.

HTH

Update: Calabash just posted a video (linked below) where he demonstrates Pitch on the Deus II in mono mode which is similar to how it behaves on Deus 1 but with the square wave audio option on Deus II and the improved Deus II signal processing, pitch is greatly enhanced.  You can use the Pitch audio as an option in any of the FMF (multifrequency) programs, if desired, to exploit the capability of that particular program (note that Deus II Program 4 (Fast) uses Pitch audio by default).  The advantage of using Program 7, Mono, is that you can tailor the frequency to favor a specific target type (e.g., mid-conductor) and Mono is often less susceptible to to EMI.  The drawback to mono is you lose some of the FMF advantages such as superior ground handling parameter adjustment (aka the ground stabilizer setting).