Neat Little Centennial Find

Christmas day I was climbing the walls to do a little detecting, so with little time to hunt before dinner I decided to hit my neighbors 18th century house. After two wheaties and some modern clad I got my first good target. It was an odd piece of copper/bronze doo dad. Looks familiar but I just can't put my finger on it. My last good Target was what I thought to be a key of some sort, Well not so much. After I got home I cleaned the (key) off and found it to be an odd medallion. A date of 1876 and a liberty bell and some people shaking hands emerged. After a little Google research I found it to be a 1876 Philadelphia Exposition medallion. It was the first worlds fair. It was called the International Exhibition of Arts, Manufactures and products of the soil and mines. Kinda cool since I found it in the soil Ha Ha. 10 million people attended from 37 countries and was held in Fairmount Park. I believe only 2 buildings that were constructed are still standing today. It's a nice find for me, but I sure wish it had the rest of the pieces. It's funny how the detecting gods throw a little important history at you from time to time.

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

Nice little hunt! 👍 I've been stuck in for a few days now, it's getting that way for me. 😵 Guess that's not a silver dime 😀

What is the little toy? Looks like an older Tootsie Toy.

2020 dime, and 1/2 a train trolly car not sure if its tootsie. It snowed today 4'' and is around 18 degree's as I write. I have a feeling detecting will be on hold for a while.

The brass piece looks like a padlock face plate. The medal is way cool!

Awesome find! I'd go back to look for the Eagle & Cannons pin attachment that goes to it. You know snow makes good signals louder! 😄