Only Fitting I Suppose

I have used the Deus for a few years and although i do have the full Monty setup ie controller etc,i basically use it as a total audio machine,i do carry the controller with me in my pocket so that if i need to make some fine tuning then it comes out of my pocket.

The TID is not as reliable as the audio,the deeper the target alot of the times the TID is un-relaiable or even does not register but the audio is still singing through load and clear,once you have found a few setting that suit your sites and targets that you are after and these settings are saved in the spare slots,then the Deus can be basically used as a 'switch on and go' detector,albeit a very high tech one at that.

As i dont use my controller mounted on the stem i use the collapsible Golden Mask shaft,which not only collapses down to be able to carried in a bag,but is also very light as well,never really liked the original Deus shaft but that is of course a personal thing,but since using the GM shaft its a total joy to use for long periods of time,having wrist problems i am finding that i am using lighter machines much more and a sling or full harness for the big guns ie the TDI Pro with the 20' Mono coil on and even then with a Hipstick on it as well.

The Deus can be as easy as you like or you can spend hours changing all the various settings,for me the beauty of it is its very lighty and can be using it as a switch on and go machine in seconds,its great for using on trashy roman/saxon site with the 9'' coil,initially i had a 'love/hate' relationship with the Deus,but once it clicks into place it is a nice detector.

• Like 2

Rick, thank you very much... What you said makes great sense, confirms what I was seeing and clears the confusion for me. Having used the z for the last year, I've grown accustomed to it proclivities and think I will like hunting with the Deus very much and I love the light weight little package its in.

Art, not meaning to burst your bubble, but you have read the date on the coin incorrectly, the coin you found is from occupied France during WWII and were only minted in the years 1942, 1943, and 1944, it was most likely brought back by a returning soldier, your's appears to me to be a 1943 and may have a mint mark on the reverse but I can't tell because of the dirt still on the coin, the mint mark "B" would be above the wheat to the left of the double headed axe.

Not great deal of value to these coins unless they are uncirculated and then only for the rarer minted ones.

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4123

https://www.google.com/search?q=1916+TRAVail+Famille+Patrie+1+franc+coin&sa=X&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwitwZjinKjMAhUF4SYKHe0KD3AQsAQIIg#imgrc=Wbvzsf1rvenriM%3A

franc-bazor-1943-.jpg

• Like 3

The cool part was it was a frenchie with my new frenchie, I don't really care about the date that much, in fact I'm happier to get good information, so thanks for the help and picture.

I'm still pretty sure it came from Harris, he traveled to France a lot and lived in the house a long time until his health failed, then one day he took a walk out into the orchard and sat down next to a tree with his shotgun and moved on, I found some old shotgun shell brass in the front yard also. 

That would have been in the late 40's or early 50's and still fits with the coin.

you know after reading your story again, I think I worked at that gas station. any idea when it closed, or the brand of the station.

• Like 1

I don't know what station it was, they tore it down before I went to work for the city in 1976. all the junk i find is older looking radiator cap and fittings, I've found some old broken motorcycle brake or clutch lever pieces. not great stuff, but vacant lot spill over kinds of things that could hide something I hope. i don't hunt it a lot cause i don't really expect to find much, its good for when I'm board and the parks are full of people.

my sisters place is a few miles away its an older home also with a big rear lot that was also part of a farm and had an old barn at one time, i found a old roller skate key and a mini ball and the usual assortment of old nails.

whew, that makes it not the one I worked at. I worked there late 70's .because we used to throw spark plugs and stuff into the field behind our station(I'm sorry):blush:

4 minutes ago, gambler said:

whew, that makes it not the one I worked at. I worked there late 70's .because we used to throw spark plugs and stuff into the field behind our station(I'm sorry):blush:

i have found a few spark plugs it would be cool if i was off on my dates and it was the one you worked at, i could have you bring over the mxs and clean up all the junk you tossed over:laugh:.

• Like 1

near lincoln and el camino real