Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

On 9/16/2022 at 3:35 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Steve (Gigmaster) does a lot of jewelry recovery in neck high saltwater surf and snorkeling for people that have lost their jewelry. So, his Equinoxes have been in some rough saltwater conditions in moderate surf and tidal pressure. Who knows, maybe that has had something to do with the cracking around the charging ports of his Noxes especially if there is a weakness or thin area in the housing around that port.

I know Steve very well and have done many spins with and around him. As a matter of fact I spent some time on the beach with him yesterday. He hardly ever ventures more than waste deep and only a few shallow water dives yearly. I am more prone to think that poor contact on the charging port creates heat that may affect the cracking. Also I would say world wide more than a thousand flooded machines have taken place vs the actual number of water hunters is alarming. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The whole reason for Gig’s video was the similarity between the Equinox and Manticore charging port appearance and position on both control pods. All of his Nox control pods have leaked due to cracks in that area. That is all there is to Gig’s video. He is just asking a logical question about the Manticore based on his Equinox experience. 

Jeff,

I completely agree with you.  And I can assure anyone who cares to listen that I know the Gigmaster personally and he would never make a video to "garner hits."  He asked a logical question based on his experience and the design similarity of the Manitore.

• Like 2

Jeff-I'm glad you posted the link and that Gig made the video. I had no idea about the reason for the leaks so now when I get to my beach location, I am going to check both Eq's before using them in the water. We haven't used them for diving due to being worried about leaking and have only used them waste deep. To say that the video is uncalled for is silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt said:

Jeff-I'm glad you posted the link and that Gig made the video. I had no idea about the reason for the leaks so now when I get to my beach location, I am going to check both Eq's before using them in the water. We haven't used them for diving due to being worried about leaking and have only used them waste deep. To say that the video is uncalled for is silly.

I thought Steve's video was important enough to post it here since this is a very Equinox "friendly" forum while also being the USA forum with the most varied, "hands on", in the field information about the Equinox from beginner users to regular users like most of us to world-class experts.

To actually see a control unit leaking from a specific spot on camera is good information to know. As long as the Equinox is being sold and used it would be a really good idea to keep an eye on the charging port and to keep it and the cable contacts clean just to be sure.

Like some have said, it could be heat build up at the port during poor connections, it could be Steve's (and others) specific hunting conditions and it could be a bad batch of rear housing plastic........

Equinox could leak from other places too.......

If I buy a used Manticore down the road, that port will be one of the first things I check......

• Like 2

Gigmaster has 29K subscribers and a little over 2,000 plus videos in 7 years. To say he does not want hits is ridiculous. He has a lot of uploads. As a comparison. The Hoover Boys 113K subscribers 532 videos in 7 years.

I find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it. You would think the replacement units would have been spread out over time so it wouldn't be a bad batch of plastic. One crack extends all the way to the wired headphone connection port in his photo. I can't imagine plastic cracking on it's own without being overly stressed in some way. What he is doing to stress that area I have no idea.

I have kept my 2018 Nox 800 in a hot or freezing vehicle for days on end. I have charged that unit constantly putting on and removing the charging cord probably well above the number of times the average user would. I looked at mine last evening taking a photo and enlarged it not seeing the faintest issue around the charge port. In fact Gigmaster is only guy I have heard complain about the problem. I Googeled "Minelab Equinox charging port cracks" and only get stuff related to what he posted. He also made videos about the Nox leaking around where the handle attached to the rod and battery compartment, and how to enhance the waterproofing around that potential water ingress point.

I still think it's a stretch to assume or worry about the Manticore having leaking problems before it's in the hands of users just because it charges the same way as the Equinox. I still think he sits around thinking about topics he can use to up his YouTube content.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it. You would think the replacement units would have been spread out over time so it wouldn't be a bad batch of plastic.

It leads one to think doesn't it?  It was said earlier there is not enough heat for the charger to create cracks...One thing that is not a constant in the equation is that the Nox does not come with a charger.....we all have to supply our own charger. could the charger he is using be the problem? Are we sure that it is not a temperature related problem? another thing to consider...could water ingress into the battery compartment create the extra heat to crack the charging port...maybe the charging port is not actually where the water ingress occurred but a after fact of trying to charge the detector that has been flooded....just thinking out loud here.

strick 

• Like 1

I give up. I posted this video to let others know that if your Equinox has some cracks around the charging port area it very well may leak there if submerged. If you or I get a Manticore someday......keep an eye on that port.

So, I don't watch all of Gigmaster's content....not into crab and shrimp....shellfish allergy and I don't like to watch a ton of Youtube videos anyway.

I do love the Equinox.....still my favorite detector even though it has plenty of flaws.

Gig loves his Equinoxes too or he wouldn't have stuck with them through all of their water ingress and coil ear failures....no matter what anybody says, the Equinox will definitely find the goods if one knows how to use it.

Steve says in this video that he really hopes the Manticore won't leak. Why does he say that? Again, he really loves the Equinox and he also says he just wants to use one detector model and learn it really well instead of having to use three different ones (Nox, Deus 2 and Legend currently). All three have had and are having problems that are ongoing for him from major to minor. The type of hunting he does is not nice to detectors. 

After just a quick count of regularly posting members here who have experienced Nox leaks once or multiple times....11 members Longbow. You and I are luckily not among those 11. There are undoubtedly more that I could find on this forum if I wanted to spend hours looking. The Nox Leaking videos are not all produced by Gigmaster. A quick, 30 second long, YouTube search produced 5 more content creators.

There are metal detector YouTube creators that only make a handful of videos in their lifetime like me who are just trying to make something I can post on a forum or send to a manufacturer. There are others like Gigmaster that may be making YouTube videos as part of their metal detecting hobby. They aren't out to prove anything or proclaim what metal detector is best. Most of Steve's videos are more like beach metal detecting journals and how too videos for mods and techniques. 

So, I don't get whatever animosity is pointed at Steve for whatever reason. He is one of the normal/good guys in my opinion that does this for fun and tries to make it fun and informative for his viewers too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it.

I think you are adding fuel to the fire. The only person I have heard that said Gigmaster had four Equinox’s that leaked is you ! He says he owns four machines and he loves them but nowhere does he say all four leaked. Maybe pay a little more attention before you comment.

23 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I think you are adding fuel to the fire. The only person I have heard that said Gigmaster had four Equinox’s that leaked is you ! He says he owns four machines and he loves them but nowhere does he say all four leaked. Maybe pay a little more attention before you comment.

Hi Carolina, Longbow may be going off my information which as you know is certainly fallible. I was under the impression that Steve has had multiple Equinox leaks and has even had replacements leak. He states in this video that he will not use any of his Equinox detectors for submerged detecting anymore because he does not trust them.

Longbow is a good guy too. I think he is wrong about Steve however. But let's try to be as civil as possible here please. Maybe John Boy will chime in here too. I think he is a member.