Any Negatives ?

Chesroy

All comments so far from Purchasers of the 900 and Manticore seem to be all positive which is good news, are there any negatives even if they are small negatives(apart from not being able to get one lol), would be interesting to hear, I know its early days. 

You might want to investigate the YouTube videos by Detector Comparisons....Carter Pennington and his friends comparing the Manticore with Deus 2. 

For me personally, as far as the Nox 900 negatives:

the expanded target ID system also expanded the number of normal possible target IDs for some targets if they aren't near the surface compared to the Nox 800.

Also, as much as I really appreciate Minelab adding Depth Tone audio which is a lot like Pitch on Deus and Deus 2, it just sounds weird and has some echo effects which I haven't gotten used to yet. If it sounded more like the VCO audio in the Equinox Gold modes I would have no problem with it.

I would really like to have a mineralization meter on the Nox 900..........

The ML85 wireless headphones have less muffled audio than the original ML80s BUT they are still subpar in my opinion. I bought and received a $30 Bluetooth APTX LL transmitter to plug into the audio port on the 900’s control unit. Using the aftermarket wireless headphones and earbuds I already owned from the 800 on the 900, the audio is much more balanced, present and lively.

Never seen, held or used a Manticore.

21 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You might want to investigate the YouTube videos by Detector Comparisons....Carter Pennington and his friends comparing the Manticore with Deus 2. 

He does some of the best videos . I think the manticore user was using the stock Fe settings waiting on a reply back.  Here is a quote from Jimmy in reply to one of the questions on the latest video about the Manticore missing a small piece of brass that Carter was able to sniff out.

Quote: The piece of brass was so small it wouldn’t be a keeper for me. I’m going for coins and the manticore I believe finds more than the D2 if you’re hunting in a park. During this test I found 7 Indians to the D2’s two or three Indians. The D2 is more of a relic machine in my opinion as it picks up the smallest pieces and jewelry. I think the D2 excels in separation and not falsing with iron.

"the falsing on iron" thing has been way over blown in my opinion. I'll bet he has kept the stock fe settings and not adjusted them which would take about 5 seconds to do. 

I don't know anything about the 900 as I don't have one so I'm commenting on the manticore only which I have found in my limited use to be a lovely machine that you will have to adjust for specific environments as you would with any other high end detector. 

1 hour ago, strick said:

the falsing on iron" thing has been way over blown in my opinion. I'll bet he has kept the stock fe settings and not adjusted them which would take about 5 seconds to do. 

Strick,

Regarding Ferrous Limits setup, I don't have the Manticore, but it looks like more than a "5 second" adjustment from perusing the the M-core user guide.  Heck, it takes longer than 5 seconds to change the Iron Bias setting (a single number) on my Nox but that's more a function of the clunky menu navigation of the Nox.

Isn't there some trial and error involved in setting up the upper (and lower) limits across the entire TID range to filter specific TID regions where nail falsing so that you don't "overfilter"?  Is there any real downside to simply setting aggressive nail falsing upper ferrous limits, for simplicity.

Are there multiple ferrous limit profiles you can set up so you are not constantly having to tweak the limits for different site conditions?

Any additional real user perspective you can share in this regard would be appreciated.

23 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

the expanded target ID system also expanded the number of normal possible target IDs for some targets if they aren't near the surface compared to the Nox 800.

Ah yes, the old dilemma, more numbers vs more stable numbers….

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Strick,

Regarding Ferrous Limits setup, I don't have the Manticore, but it looks like more than a "5 second" adjustment from perusing the the M-core user guide.  Heck, it takes longer than 5 seconds to change the Iron Bias setting (a single number) on my Nox but that's more a function of the clunky menu navigation of the Nox.

Isn't there some trial and error involved in setting up the upper (and lower) limits across the entire TID range to filter specific TID regions where nail falsing so that you don't "overfilter"?  Is there any real downside to simply setting aggressive nail falsing upper ferrous limits, for simplicity.

Are there multiple ferrous limit profiles you can set up so you are not constantly having to tweak the limits for different site conditions?

Any additional real user perspective you can share in this regard would be appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply. Monterey had some serious sand movement and I crashed as soon as I got back last night. The entire upper ferrous limit can be dropped down a couple clicks to reduce falsing...maybe 5 seconds is an exaggeration but not by much. But yea that’s what I was talking about not altering specific regions of the upper limit which would take a lot longer. The manual (which I truthfully haven’t finished reading yet) talks about dropping the whole line down to reduce falsing and opening up certain regions to accept ferrous coins.  I have not seen anything yet about altering specific regions to reduce falsing of specific types of iron  objects but maybe that’s in there. You can save your profiles if you like as well. Lowering the upper limit too much will miss targets . 

I’m still learning the language of the machine maybe 10-12 hunts on it. The stock programs in general modes seem to be what I prefer right now with a little tweaking if needed. I only had one target yesterday that I called iron which surprised me into being a coin. There were lots that I called “probably iron” and ended up being so..but I’m not digging lots of iron like the rumors on YouTube would like everyone to believe. 

Strick

2 hours ago, strick said:

The manual... talks about dropping the whole line down to reduce falsing and opening up certain regions to accept ferrous coins.  I have not seen anything yet about altering specific regions to reduce falsing of specific types of iron  objects but maybe that’s in there.

It's definitely in there.  I think I posted this screenshot from the manual within the last week but I'm doing it again (below).

2 hours ago, strick said:

The manual (which I truthfully haven’t finished reading yet)....

Kinda ironic/funny -- you're one of the first to get a Manticore and have been spending most of your free time with it.  I would do the same thing.  I'm waiting (and expect to be waiting quite a while) and have read it twice, 'cause I got nothing better to do.  :sad:  Then again, I had a long round trip flight to your home state in early December and that was a perfect time to read the manual -- once on the way out and a second time on the way back.

BTW, I LoL'ed with your Edith Bunker analogy (New Year's Resolution thread about Steve's goals for learning the Deus 2).  You NoCal guys can be hilarious!  Here is part of the Manticore Instruction Manual, page 49:

529968995_Screenshotat2023-01-07092541.png.2cdcf590553e737f344fe9b9f5720588.png

I'm overdue going back to the Dankowski forum and reading more of what the master there says.  I recall early on he talked about feathering (my word choice) ferrous limits to emphasize certain targets.  I get the impression this feature is going to be both a boon (in its performance enhancing capabilities) as well as a 10's, even 100's of hours of experimentation/study to get it just right.  I hope I'm up for the task....

Another irony (not yours, far from it in your case) is people comparing the Deus 2 and Manticore and thinking they are seeing something profound.  One detector has been in users hands for a year, meaning 10's of thousands of accumulated hours and the other in just a handful of users for, what, 3 weeks?  Here's my analogy -- put an up-and-coming high school sprinter up against an Olympic veteran.  Who's going to win that race??

Thanks GB I think I remember seeing those pictures now 😄 Truth be told I'm really a beep and dig person and don't really have the patience to be fooling with settings all that much so would rather  "Learn through Digging"  so to speak...that being said the adjustments are there to help make our lives simpler and the menu system is fairly easy to understand so maybe I'll put more effort into this new machine. 

strick

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I get the impression this feature is going to be both a boon (in its performance enhancing capabilities) as well as a 10's, even 100's of hours of experimentation/study to get it just right.

But strick said 5 seconds?  What the heck... :laugh: (JK Chuck!)