On 5/29/2016 at 6:51 PM, auminesweeper said:

The whole idea of this thread was to highlight the pitfalls of substituting lead for gold during testing and it is more for people who want to know more about their machines than people who only use one when they go prospecting, Coming from an engineering back ground I really like using detectors but I also like to know what makes them tick, and many people still don't know how to test machines beyond Air Tests.

If it is of little use or interest then just Deteat the whole thread.

And Delete my profile at the same Time. 

John... this is a practical, sensible insight into testing units over lead targets in test gardens. I've enjoyed it and many other threads you've initiated here. I understand what you are saying and it is my view that you are correct insofar as structure or shape notwithstanding, since lead has a significantly lower specific gravity, a larger piece is necessary to match gold weight. Hence depth results over lead are not necessarily accurate indicators of what might be expected over gold. 

But in the field there are other factors to consider. In natural environs where we are detecting undisturbed ground, and where EMI is normally considerably less, if those same lead nuggets had naturally occurred, they ought to be detectable at greater depths than can be had in the backyard disturbed ground test garden. The same can be anticipated for naturally occurring gold or other metals. Hence your hypothesis isn't quite as exacting as one might initially think. Test gardens are quite useful for relative detector depth evaluations within the above noted constraints. Testing naturally occurring nuggets in undisturbed ground is certainly an ideal scenario, but unfortunately as you point out... this is not always convenient or even possible. 

I enjoy your posts a good deal. Sometimes I don't agree with your ideas but you are fully entitled to your opinions as are all other forum members. And sometimes readers don't understand the relevance of what you are suggesting. As an active participant here, you have to expect such reactions as par for the course. The important consideration for me is that you are so obviously a kindred spirit in this hobby, you consistently display a fascination for learning more about it, and you are quite willing to step up to the plate and share your ideas. 

No more chatter about closing out your account here, and please continue with your current level of participation...  it is all good as far as I'm concerned. :smile:

Jim.

hello Jim, it is always a great day when you turn up, and thank you for your constructive views, I started this thread because I have seen so many people trying to look for an answer to testing coils etc So I found a list I kept about the Conductivity and Resistance of metals so then I tried to match Gold with the closest set of numbers and that did not work because if the conductivity was close then the Resistance was wrong so then I tried to match them by weight and that did not work either, and where people had said that lead signals louder than Gold when using bits that are the same weight, That did not work because the equal weights ended up in the lead piece being bigger.

So the Conductivity was wrong then the Resistance was wrong and then the weight was wrong, So the only way for it to work successfully is to go by mass, As in the same physical size and the only way to do that is to multiply or divide one metal or the other by 1.6992 ,

The problem is because nuggets are not like coins or Items etc, So I was trying to create a base line So I would have and Idea of what a Coils limits are, I even went as far as buying Black Sand so it would give me real minerals to put in the ground to deal with, Along with using highly magnetic signs that Ground Balance around the 86 on the GND meter.

With health being less than Ideal I have not had a chance to get out there to put my theories in to action, But the things I have done have worked well enough to be close to the real world. Which is why I started this thread, But I can not put it together like you did your Silver Thread, because this is more of a Beep or No Beep type of research,

Good to see you Jim, take care,

john