Bubonic Plague Found Near Tahoe

The plague has been reported as found in the high desert, south and east of Boise, Idaho.  Same precautions advised, keep dogs away from dead ground squirrels, voles. any in ground living creature is suspect, having plague carrying fleas.  Not being specifically reported as being bubonic plague, however...

Hi all,

As an addendum to my post above, the plague that is presently ongoing in the Boise, Idaho desert area south of the city IS the bubonic plague.  That is about all I have to report on the subject for now. 

I wonder how the eagles and other raptors that eat the road kill rodents fare as far as being possibly infected themselves.  It could be that they are not affected.  If it is that they aren't affected by the plague, my thought of their carrying of the plague infected cadavers to other areas outside the present area of reported plague is a bit concerning to me...  Just a bit.

Gary/Largo

19 hours ago, ~LARGO~ said:

Hi all,

As an addendum to my post above, the plague that is presently ongoing in the Boise, Idaho desert area south of the city IS the bubonic plague.  That is about all I have to report on the subject for now. 

I wonder how the eagles and other raptors that eat the road kill rodents fare as far as being possibly infected themselves.  It could be that they are not affected.  If it is that they aren't affected by the plague, my thought of their carrying of the plague infected cadavers to other areas outside the present area of reported plague is a bit concerning to me...  Just a bit.

Gary/Largo

Hi Gary as far as I know only mammals can get rabies. So birds fish and snakes can't transfer or carry the disease. Alex

We live in a society where many people file a law suit at the drop of a hat. Spill some hot coffee on yourself? You're not a klutz, its McDonalds fault and you should take them to court for millions - because there is no warning on their hot coffee that its actually hot.

Same holds true about plague and all sorts of other hazards. Officials and others feel obligated to warn you for liability reasons. The plague has been in North America for centuries. Now you are being warned so you cannot file suit or otherwise complain that no one warned you.

I once saw a hand made sign at at the entrance of a campground that said something like:

Beware of rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, bears, mountain lions, plague, Hantavirus, Valley fever, lightening, poison plants, broken glass, falling rocks (and the sign then listed at least another dozen or so known hazards of being outdoors) - then at the bottom said "Be safe and have fun".

Yes, there is risk outdoors, but if you take reasonable precautions, you will be fine.

There are just as many if not more risks at home.