A Stunning Gold Ring Found With The Manticore. Still Unsure Of Its Age!

Incredible ring!

A very nice find for sure,like yourself the identity of the ring is a bit of a mysterious one for sure....in theory as it has no hall marks it should be old but not always the case as it could have been a special commission,also older rings like posy or for nobility would and usually have a inscription inside but that is not the case here.....is it medieval ?? pure gut feeling is telling me no as it looks like a modernist design.

It will be interesting to hear back from the FLO and see what they say about it,it certainly is a fabulous find and well done on connecting your detector with it and saving it.I seriously hope its a very old ring but gut feeling tells me otherwise.

Did you do a little bit of "gold" dance?  Asking for a friend. (well maybe a couple, Andy and Lance) 

51 minutes ago, RickUK said:

A very nice find for sure,like yourself the identity of the ring is a bit of a mysterious one for sure....in theory as it has no hall marks it should be old but not always the case as it could have been a special commission,also older rings like posy or for nobility would and usually have a inscription inside but that is not the case here.....is it medieval ?? pure gut feeling is telling me no as it looks like a modernist design.

It will be interesting to hear back from the FLO and see what they say about it,it certainly is a fabulous find and well done on connecting your detector with it and saving it.I seriously hope its a very old ring but gut feeling tells me otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts RickUK , it's going to the FLO tomorrow and photos have gone to the British museum already, so hopefully a definative answer soon! 

It does have a nice color ! 

Super good find even if it is newer.

Like phrunt said , it looks like it would be uncomfortable to wear though.

Maybe a "fight ring" , with brass on the other hand ?

A stunning looking ring 😍. Whatever way it ends up going, it's a win - win for you.

On 7/4/2023 at 2:40 AM, Bfod said:

Me thinks it is a medievel or slightly post medievel " Posy Gold Ring " , if you search google you will find similar. Your do not have engraving so may be worn out or to old. Here is a link to one and Mr Potter of all names is the finder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9760071/Treasure-hunter-digs-17th-century-gold-posy-ring-engraved-two-hearts.html 

I would say, to me, yours is much nicer than that one. I would have probably had a heart attack if I found one that beautiful. What an incredible find...