Manticore Vs Excalibur II Deep

I recently went hunting with a Manitcore hunter, new to it, he used the 800 before for several years, and before that he hunted with a Explorer ll which was waterproofed. I had no problem going behind him and digging good targets but I hunt in AM with a non-stock excalibur and this is "in" brackish waters. I've done the same with Nox hunters with the same results. Our next trip out won't be till later (Sept)  in the year but hopefully we can do some comparing where he can find a deep target or me and see if either of us can hear it and get it on video. Like in this video with the Nox..

• Like 2

haha no, I'm not much of a water hunter so don't have an Excalibur. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

17 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I recently went hunting with a Manitcore hunter, new to it, he used the 800 before for several years, and before that he hunted with a Explorer ll which was waterproofed. I had no problem going behind him and digging good targets but I hunt in AM with a non-stock excalibur and this is "in" brackish waters. I've done the same with Nox hunters with the same results. Our next trip out won't be till later (Sept)  in the year but hopefully we can do some comparing where he can find a deep target or me and see if either of us can hear it and get it on video. Like in this video with the Nox..

Hey OBN, your video is titled "Nox and Excalibur", is he using a nox or manticore?

If not do you know what mode/settings your friend was using?  Also do you know what he had his upper and lower limits set at? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

From my limited experience I would say the M-Core is deeper when hunting in disk modes. I have not tested the machines this is just my personal guess as i have both. The excal I own has a 8 inch coil and I use it exclusively in trashy beaches in the water only...because I do not have the 5x8 yet for the manticore so there is no way for me to compare the two....I have dug some really deep things on the beach with the M-Core 15-18 inch deep coins regularly...but this depends on the beach location. 

strick

• Like 2

i have both too, but was not able to test them until today. After the test 1 euro coin in sand in salt water about 35-40cm , excalibur II  (8 sensitivity) don't give a signal, Manticore detect it on (20 sensitivity). 

The wedding ring (585) is from today, about 30-35cm in the sand in the water. ID 43-44

0-02-05-56159cb7de5a42b59e3d20bffe0b35dfbf7b16f69b393131233b2fd8f12fb07c_b2b769fd1c27ba41.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Hey OBN, your video is titled "Nox and Excalibur", is he using a nox or manticore?

If not do you know what mode/settings your friend was using?  Also do you know what he had his upper and lower limits set at? 

Thanks!

Yes, this was the Nox / excal hunt from a few years ago. I have a couple friends who now use the 900 and one the Manitcore which I hope to get in more time with both come fall. Also have another friend who has the D2, yet to get out with him. Be nice if we could get everyone out together.

On the Nox 800 settings I'm not sure what he had as his settings other than it was a beach setting using the stock coil. And same with the guy I hunted with a month ago using the Manitcore, no idea what he was running. I know he only had his machine a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, roko said:

i have both too, but was not able to test them until today. After the test 1 euro coin in sand in salt water about 35-40cm , excalibur II  (8 sensitivity) don't give a signal, Manticore detect it on (20 sensitivity). 

The wedding ring (585) is from today, about 30-35cm in the sand in the water. ID 43-44

Nice Gold !

Were you using the excalibur in All Metal or Discriminate?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, strick said:

From my limited experience I would say the M-Core is deeper when hunting in disk modes. I have not tested the machines this is just my personal guess as i have both. The excal I own has a 8 inch coil and I use it exclusively in trashy beaches in the water only...because I do not have the 5x8 yet for the manticore so there is no way for me to compare the two....I have dug some really deep things on the beach with the M-Core 15-18 inch deep coins regularly...but this depends on the beach location. 

strick

I agree, the excalibur in Disc mode with the stock yellows..very weak machine. Excal is much stronger in All metal but you really need a better set of head phones and the PP to disc / toggle or switch to take full advantage of what it can do. 

If you're digging coins that deep with the Manitcore..  there, my excaliburs are Hot on coins but not 18 inches unless it is a half dollar and that is a faint signal. Quarters are in the 14 to 16 inch range with the stock coil (here in the water). Nickels at 14. 

It would be great if the manitcore was deeper here in the water. I need depth since everything here is so deep, and deep with discriminate..I would love that!

• Like 3