Axiom Head / Lcd Trouble?

Norvic

Norvic,  Sorry to hear you are experiencing LCD screen displacement.  Of all the Axiom's I've sold, that's a 1st for me, so sure it's not a common problem.  I've seen this a few times with the GPZ-7000 and yes with some field mods it can still work/perform.

As for the Axiom's ability vs a GPX-6000 and you starting to see it shine more.  Buddy, we all know, the more time on a  detector and us trying to fine tune it, then the results get better.  Biggest issue with me on the GPX-6000 is the lack of User Control when compared to all the features the Axiom has and it's ability to make adjustments (like we had with a GPX-5000).

Also, here in the US the price difference is a big factor, but I see/hear outside of US is not so true.  Still wonder why?

Thanks for sharing the good/bad from a real user standpoint.

• Like 4

Many Thanks, Gerry, have been trying to work out how it got damaged as have a pretty cool purpose built overhead tray I built for my first Troopy back in 86, now fitted to new Troopy (Toyota haven`t changed the basic body on the Troopy for 40 plus years). I`ve attached photos to give an idea of this tray. Scratching my head with what happened and doubt I`ll ever know.

You are not wrong about the Axiom, to the user getting away from the settings complexity has been an ongoing goal for Manufacturers from year one, the 6K certainly is near fully auto and a brilliant gold magnet as is the Axiom with its easy to use settings, for me I haven`t determined which is my king as yet, which is only the second time in 40 plus years detecting gold, was a Garrett A2B vs Dtek Search King back in the early 80s. Otherwise I`d had an older one as backup other as king ,now I have 2 kings and the Z as backup. Spoilt rotten but having a ball.

20230817_163729.jpg

20230817_163755.jpg

20230817_163809.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Norvic said:

Scratching my head with what happened and doubt I`ll ever know.

Methinks probably the smashing to death of the Taipan with the Axiom had sumthin to do with it....  When you dispatch the world's deadliest snake and the detector still works, it says sumthin.... 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Norvic. But the fact that it is still working, despite being basically decapitated, speaks for it's rugged build. Also good to know that you don't find any difference performance wise after much testing, even for small gold where the 6k shines. I don't think there are many field testers with your level of experience, and you are also not financially involved with Garrett (I assume). So, your judgement means alot. Essentially a less automated 6000 with setting options that probably most advanced operators are dearly missing on the 6k (including me!). I applaud Garrett to pass the "Norvic" test for a high end metal detector, and for developing a detector that is on par with a high end ML machine. That's the first I believe. Also, really nice custom set up for you truck. But where is the espresso machine??😁

GC

• Like 4

AU, nah I`d never tackle a Taipan with a detector they are much faster than a human only way is leave them alone or a 12 Guage ......

Phrunt I agree MLs involved in almost decapitating the Axiom, but it took two of them, a conspiracy for sure!!!!! Tis crazy to mix them, will rectify with a division, aye behind in that overhead tray is the mighty X coil CC 17' with the 12Xspiral fitted most used in FNQ heavy grass, not used a ML coil on the Z since first fitting a X coil. Who would/does🤣

GC the Expresso machine is left at home now, only go with an occasional cup of tea on missions. Coffee like alcohol I`ve found is not compatible with serious gold detecting, gold being the only drug we need😉 But the Expresso machine is fired up firstly when returning from a mission. Nah not affiliated with any detector manufacturer, totally dedicated to the GoG 😇

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Essentially a less automated 6000 with setting options that probably most advanced operators are dearly missing on the 6k (including me!).

Bit like the SDC 2300. That is ML's game plan to "make" you have to buy another detector to fill the "holes". Same with hard wired & no other choice coils. OR very limited coil selection. Putting chips in to stop aftermarket manufacturing of coils. Look at the crap fight that X coils caused by looking after us with choices on The GPZ 7000.

D4G

• Like 3

D4G, Aye ML obviously and debatable rightly protects their tech, in doing so has given us mighty tools for near 30 years. I doubt any single detector will ever do it all, not in our lifetimes at least. 

• Like 4