My Thoughts On Hunting Winnemucca Nv Region After Two Weeks

Im back in Meadview, Az and I got my first nugget today for the winter season here in Arizona. It is good to be back and it seems like I was just here two months ago, even though I left here for Montana in April. I am dealing with some hot temps that I am not used to with not having any shade to hide under. I am staying in my bell tent and the flies right now are rivaling Montana but there appears to be one basic type of fly. In Montana we have well over twenty types of flies to deal with. I now have to add another annoyance to deal with. Ants by the hundreds getting into my tent. 😡. I had a mouse get into my atv cargo bag and he ate some snacks and a pack of smokes which pissed me off. Well as of this morning he is no more. Now I have to eliminate the rest of the mice and the rat. The flies are driving me bananas 🤬😤. I thought I was going to get skunked today and while I was heading back to my ATV , I reached the coil under a bush and it screamed and out came a nice . 76 of a gram nugget to keep the skunk at bay. I have a good video coming next that I think y'all will like. I am still uploading vids from Montana. When those are done I will start on my time detecting in Nevada. Living outdoors for three years now and trying to earn a living by detecting for gold is not easy and it wears on my moral. There are a lot of things I love about it but there are things I despise about it. I am down to under $100, and very soon I need to pull a miracle out of the ground and get it sold. I am close to 500 subscribers, 462 last time I looked. I would really appreciate it if y'all spread the word to any friends you have that detect and or like watching videos like this. I am going to start adding in things that happen or take place outside of detecting itself. Camp life and the highs and lows of living like this is what I am talking about and other things I come across. Thank you to all on here that follow me and follow me on YouTube. I much appreciate it. Those of you in Australia that read my posts on here, please check out my channel and spread the word. Gold Seeker Adventures. I don't think there are too many people in the states choosing to live out of a tent with no end in sight trying to make a living detecting for gold solely for their income. It's truly feast or famine to say the least. Ahh but I know a freedom not many people get to experience in this day and age and the gold is getting harder to find. Every day I have to put my strategies to use and every day I have to invent new strategies and evaluate new theories I come up with to continue staying ontop of the gold. Below is my last big group of nuggets from detecting my claims in Montana and I just sold them all, a few days ago to get to Arizona. They were 6.6 grams. The other pic of nuggets is what I found in Winnemucca area including Rye Patch, The Eugene mountains, Pronto, Bikini tree, Sawtooth, rabbit hole, placerites, and the Humbolt mounains. This gold will be given away for book sales. Buy two books get a nugget sort of thing. 

IMG_20230919_124623916.jpg

IMG_20230919_124611668.jpg

IMG_20230919_124545514.jpg

IMG_20230918_173136622_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20230908-152821.png

Screenshot_20230908-152816-227.png

Screenshot_20230908-152801-925.png

IMG_20230916_062130139_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230918_055926690_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230917_135806324_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230912_170708245.jpg

IMG_20230912_172709518.jpg

IMG_20230912_163817769_HDR.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hat is off to you living like you are choosing. It's not for sissies.
I would like to contribute to your YouTube, how do you recommend I do that?

Wishing you great good luck in Arizona this winter.

Reese I wish you the best of luck I have done this mostly dredging in the past the color now days is really hard to find and it is hardscrabble to say the least all the areas are well known with the internet  and it is brutal  to say the least in my experience it’s best to have funds from work and use the funds to get out gas is crazy expensive these days and that can hit the poke real hard   I hope your you tube can take that burden away   It is amazing how much ground is worked  by so many my 2 centavos  work out side the known  it takes time but it is still there let us know how we can help  we all will  sorry about the bugs it’s part of Murphy a law   And  she is a bitch   Sorry I could not help on new ground it’s hard to find and no one is sharing much these days   Godspeed   

Hope things work out for you buddy.  Wish I was closer so I could bring you a care package again.

Regards,  Ceril

Hey Reese,

Many would love to live the dream you're living, despite the hard times.  Many of us live in this "rat race" world chasing the dollar to make ends meet.  For most, it's the stress that kills us.  Sometimes I think living a simple life with very minimal stress is much healthier for us.  For me, it's working since I was 15, running a business for over 20 years and sometimes I think what do I have to really show for it?  I look into the mirror at night, wondering where time really went ..... You realize people around you have died off, kids grown up and wonder where did time really go, as I didn't really get to enjoy anything running and gunning for years on end.  

I guess it's just a part of life.  

There are many out there that never get to experience what you have seen and done, but would love to.  You're adventures, Youtube and posts here truly keep the dream alive for many.   You're influencing many people with the dream, the experience and the stories, most wish they could do.  

That all being said, keep your head up, the next big nuggets is not far away!  I loved Northern Nevada, spent a good amount of time around all those areas you mentioned in the late 90's early 2000's.  Wishing you much luck around Gold Basin and Thanks for all your continued business with us.  

P.S.  Stay off so and so property 🙂 

You're friend,

Rob

53 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

You realize people around you have died off, kids grown up and wonder where did time really go, as I didn't really get to enjoy anything running and gunning for years on end.  

I've done things a bit differently and find myself now with a couple of little guys that will be 3 and 6 soon and let me tell you ... time still flies by.  It is already Wednesday ... what happened with Monday and Tuesday?  Stay in the moment as much as possible.

I'm coming up on a milestone.  No, not another birthday but an odometer reading.  I'll soon have 250,000 miles on my car.  I drove it when it was new and then my step-dad had it for 6 years and put very few miles on it.  Since about 2010 I've put over 200,000 miles on it as the sole driver.  I took some odometer pictures in the past but what did I do all of those miles?  What beach or goldfield was I at?  It is mostly a blurrrrr.

Stay in the moment and enjoy that next nugget as long as your belly is full and your health allows.  It is not a second chance sort of deal.

Reese:

Just wanted to wish you the best with your new location.  As I read your post it occurred to me that you might have the "makings" of another book.  An autobiography of sorts describing your experiences and lessens learned from this life style and advice for anyone that may be considering such an adventure.  Just a little food for thought.

Hope your next nugget is a big one.

North NV is one of my favorite part of the country to hunt gold.  Yes I have been to AZ and Gold Basin with Success, but NV is my favorite of the 2.  I imagine part of it is the time spent and knowing of the area.  You have been to AZ and spent many more hours swinging a coil there than NV?  Same with me about NNV, I have thousands of hours on many detectors going back 25+ yrs and some crazy great finds made.

No matter where your desire to swing is, at least you are getting out there and doing it.

Thanks for sharing and sorry your so called friend pulled the stupid on you.  I actually think it's happened to us all at 1 time and some of us more than once.

An RV is a game changer for that lifestyle, even a small lightweight one like 14-17ft. The shower/heat/ac/fridge/toilet make it so much more comfortable, especially since you are out working all day. You can get one for like $2500 down in AZ if you look around for deals. I can't remember what you are driving for tow capacity, but I had a Tacoma back then and it hauled a 20 footer ok in AZ/NV (2x leaf pack plus airbags). The Rockies passes were a bit tough, but doable. 

You are detecting a lot of the same places I spent time in when I was doing it full time. It's going to be a grind man. It was a grind 10 years ago and it was still possible to have 1-2 ounce days occasionally back then and find patches that could pay for a season of gas/food in one punch. Commerical mineral exploration (ie, extending outside of just gold) is the only feasible way I see to make a semi-comfortable living as a prospector today, and is the inevitable end game for anyone seriously trying to pursue field exploration as a job. Unless you own or have access to some primo land with an excavator to mine on. Just my view having spent the better part of 7 years doing the same thing, in the same places, and learning a lot from the experience. Might want to start expanding out from nugget detecting only, grab an RV, get good cell data and a computer, and start a mineral exploration business. You can make more with 1 good discovery you sell than 10 years of detecting.

*also wanted to say: yes NNV gold has a lot of silver. But find the right places and some of that gold sells for many times over spot, so it's actually worth more. GB/LB gold has horrible refinery returns, grab a good 20x loupe and look at some "solid slugs" of it and you'll see why. A lot of it has tiny grains of quartz imbedded all through it. More often with GB than LB, but seen it on both. It also has a lot of quartz/limonite inclusions in general. I sold almost all mine for spot or 5% under spot because the refinery returns were poor on it and it was easy to saturate the collector market demand. 

Guiding can be a good venture if you can stand baby sitting in the outdoors- I used to do it as a white water guide and got a lot of tip money, it paid for my college, but man, working for a lot of rich sissies from the city killed the fun.  But most prospecting types are outdoorsy people anyways so it may be easier. I’d go on a paid venture to get some training and advice…. If I had the time! :sad: