I Saw The 5000 Up Grade Test

Drellim

I'm not at all surprised with that last video posted where the 18" coil is going deeper than the GPZ with 17x`13" coil on a chunk or iron like that, put a bigger coil on the GPZ and see what happens, even the readily available but nobody wants 19" coil which is similar size.

To me rather than modding a 5000 it makes more sense to get bigger coils for the 7000 if you already have one and are chasing big deep targets, the mods are very expensive.  The mod I'd want for the 5000 is fixing its massive target holes, that will find more gold.

What I don't get, and they've been doing it for a decade is why these handful of independent guys can do mods on detectors to make them better than Minelab could, and if that's the case why isn't Minelab trying to hire them or even doing similar performance improvements to their own detectors.  Why is there no GPX 5000 v2 with similar mods included.  I'm all for modding stuff, I think it's awesome, but it's a puzzle to me why Minelab doesn't follow the modders which is usually the case.

I've had next to no experience with these modded detectors, JW has a modded GPX 4500, never uses it, but has it.  He's used it once in my presence and he had a Sadie on it at the time, I had my stock 4500 with the NF 14x9" EVO on it when I first got that coil, I found mine was more sensitive than his on small targets in some very basic tests we did at the time waving over a few pellets.  How much of that was the coil I don't know, probably most of it.    Neither stood out as being quieter or anything.  I don't know enough about the mods done to it to judge it but it was one of the big two that did the mods.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Aureous said:

There are a few people I am acquainted with, or know from FB, that have sold their 7000's and bought cheap'ish 5000's and got them modded. It seems the current mods with the Very low frequency, plus the front end gain can beat the 7000 by a large margin on bigger, deeper gold when using 18" or larger coils. Sounds odd I know but numerous test patch trials over the past few years have convinced some serious operators to give up on the 7000. I am tossing up on whether to mod up an old SD2200 due to a new set of modifications incl a slow timing change, plus the frequency adjust and gain. The option of selecting Channel 1 ONLY is also baiting me. When all the serious operators are demanding depth and no manufacturer is supplying it (the GPZ was released 8 years ago!), then all options become worth a look. An interesting video of a test is here:

A few years ago I bought a woody modified SD 2200.  Serial# in the 45000's which are supposed to be the good ones. I've never modified a detector,  so thought I'd buy it to see what, or if any difference the mods made. It has 3 mods I think,  a variable gain that is great, I can adjust it to get the detector running as smooth or rough as I want. A 3 position switch for different pulse rates ,shallow or medium or deep. I use deep but you must turn on the detector in the shallow position, then when it warms up do the emi tune and change to the deep position. The option of using the 2200 in the single channel is great. And I use deep audio. The other 3 position switch is a type of ground smoothing I think, not sure but I can only run in the 3rd position with the settings I use. A coiltek regulated battery system, sp-o1 signal enhancer which is a must with the 2200 as anyone that's used a 2200 will know.                  Combined with a coiltek 18"dd pro coil or the nuggetfinder 25" ddx coil and its unbeatable for depth on larger targets.                             I've also got a gpz 7000 , gpx 6000 , gpx 5000 and various coils, but the 2200 has an edge on them all for depth on the say half to 1oz plus size nuggets. The 5000 with 25" ddx in normal gives it a run for its money, but the 2200 is king. Was thinking of selling the 5000 to a mate , but now I'm seriously considering getting it modified as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It is strange how the Extra Deep Gold Mode of the GPZ 7000 isn’t given so much as a mention in this thread, given that it is the lowest frequency option and coupled with the 19-inch coil would be the Zed's weapon for large, deep nuggets. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Lunk said:

It is strange how the Extra Deep Gold Mode of the GPZ 7000 isn’t given so much as a mention in this thread, given that it is the lowest frequency option and coupled with the 19-inch coil would be the Zed's weapon for large, deep nuggets. 🤷‍♂️

Its all about the mineralization....lots of ironstone. All other settings there are fairly unusable. Phil's video (on my post) shows the black iron soil well. Its well accepted that the big 19 is totally useless in hot ground here... it has zero benefit over the stock 14. X coils are a different matter....Phil doesn't use them I believe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mick at Detectronics does mods for C. AU$2K. Woody is more expensive as he's trying to slow down demand. Wait times are approx 4-6 weeks after supply of your control box.

Wow did not know we’re this was going to go was there a guy named  Ismal  sp ? Who did the first mods I believe the SD 2200 I have was done by him don’t want a filing of who is best   (Well maybe)  this  detector has impressed on quartz  gold  sponge  better than the big Buck detectors  from mine lab   But I do not have info on 6000/7000 at all would like to research and find out how he is   Also noticed  the prices going up  for upgrades with in the last month or two   Lots to think about thanks all interesting indeed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drellim said:

Wow did not know we’re this was going to go was there a guy named  Ismal  sp ? Who did the first mods I believe the SD 2200 I have was done by him

The first mods were done by Barrie Johnson and Ken Roberts, for the SD2000 only. Ismael Jones expanded on this with higher sensitivity frequency crystals, voltage regulator and filters, plus an amp. He then created mods for the GP's and Woody also started around the same time. Mick Spiteri came on the scene when the F1A4 mine detectors were being dumped on the market and he created the mods for those and then expanded into all the other ML PI's. Ismael still has his site up and not sure if he still does the actual mods.... he has the info on  the mods for all the machines up to the GP3500 for anyone to download: Ismael Jones site

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Something to consider that I never see anyone write about.

I had a 4500. With the amount of different settings, when you are not finding anything, you start to question yourself with the settings.

You can lose confidence.  For me, confidence in your settings and equipment is everything! 

The 7000 seems have a great filter, eliminating a lot of ground noise, and handles emi a lot better. I know I have found sooo much more gold since going to the GPZ no mod would convince me to back to a 5k or 4500k. I also have a 6k, and I don't use it as much as the 7000 either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1