The Depth Abyss Between Mono And P12😑

Skull diver

As sarcastic or offensive as it may sound from the title, I open this post with the intention of clarifying this concept obscure to me...

I recently tried using the mono program, because in addition to the threshold I can't do without and the pitch tone that underwater is ideal and easier to hear...Result? Definitely too noisy to last long, even from 14kHz down to shift 0.

Now, going back to beach sensitive with the same setting on all program parameters, the detection depth is about half on targets like rings or weak conductors.

I ask you what you think about this?

There are at least two parameters, which can't be the same 😉

Salt Sens defaults to 7 - try to change it to 9. Under G.B. change Magnetic to accept - maybe have a play with Tracking, keep B.Cap Rejection disabled, use a slow Reactivity <=1.

Probably won't double the depth, but definitely change something.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sinclair said:

There are at least two parameters, which can't be the same 😉

Salt Sens defaults to 7 - try to change it to 9. Under G.B. change Magnetic to accept - maybe have a play with Tracking, keep B.Cap Rejection disabled, use a slow Reactivity <=1.

Probably won't double the depth, but definitely change something.

Sens 92 or more (no noise)

Salt sens on 9

Magnetic accept

Tracking on

Reactivity 2.0 otherwise saltwater falsing is crazy

I barely managed to reduce noise just keeping audio filter at 1 

What I know is for sure a different program matrix but how detuned is the beach set of p10/11/12 ? 😑

I'm not complaining at all about the instrument as it work as it should but what am I missing if the actual setting found me this with half depth power?

IMG_20231013_144013.jpg

IMG_20231018_172735.jpg

• Like 3

Nice finds!

I use Audio Filter 1-2, too + Square. Sounds very Minelabbish 😄
Audio Response does A LOT to the perceived depth, imho. I usually keep it at 5.
I'd try to keep the Reactivity as low as possible. Maybe try lowering Salt Sens to keep the machine from falsing, instead of lowering the Reactivity. We had a big storm last week, which unveiled a lot of old stuff and miles of stone/pebbled areas.. machine-gun-like detecting with a lot of mixed/falsing signals. I've played around with the Reactivity and for my feelings, the machine behaves completely different with settings >=2. The signals get very short + quiet, so you really have to listen very carefully. Minelabs Recovery Speed behaves somewhat different.. Didn't try different tone options, though. I usually run Square, 5-Tones, no notches.

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

YES>I keep mine at 6.

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've played around with the Reactivity and for my feelings, the machine behaves completely different with settings >=2. The signals get very short + quiet, so you really have to listen very carefully.

YES> I use the 9" coil and am VERY uncomfortable hunting past a reactivity of.5 

7 hours ago, Skull diver said:

I'm not complaining at all about the instrument as it work as it should but what am I missing if the actual setting found me this with half depth power?

I am not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that Seach Sensitive has 50% less power than Beach P. For the record I cannot stand Beach P even on wet sand. What is the most important is frequency weighting and hunting cleanly. If you can hunt pretty clean at a sensitivity of 92 with Beach Sensitive, you will NOT find another program on the Deus2 better for gold. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skull diver said:

Just to be clear. In depth testing on fringe targets we did not find Beach Pitch superior to another beach program.  

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Nice finds!

I use Audio Filter 1-2, too + Square. Sounds very Minelabbish 😄
I'd try to keep the Reactivity as low as possible. Maybe try lowering Salt Sens to keep the machine from falsing, instead of lowering the Reactivity. We had a big storm last week, which unveiled a lot of old stuff and miles of stone/pebbled areas.. machine-gun-like detecting with a lot of mixed/falsing signals. I've played around with the Reactivity and for my feelings, the machine behaves completely different with settings >=2. The signals get very short + quiet, so you really have to listen very carefully. Minelabs Recovery Speed behaves somewhat different.. Didn't try different tone options, though. I usually run Square, 5-Tones, no notches.

I managed to use salt sens on 9 wothout falsing and with high sensitivity of 95, but the key is to use pitch.I even use treshold cause sometimes the audio disappears and without a reason.So I keep the treshold as a control tone to avoid missing signals cause I don't look at the screen.Really high discrimination too, cause I found nothing under the 30ish to be worth the effort to dig.Also, try to put the shift on 6 when in 40Khz and let me know.

(I suppose you hunt with submerged coil however)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, midalake said:

Just to be clear. In depth testing on fringe targets we did not find Beach Pitch superior to another beach program.  

Exactly! Beach Pitch is just a copy of P12 (and P12 is the program I use a bit modified).

Here I'm comparing The Mono program with P12.

Problem is...The same of almost all of other programs.

Unusable underwater in saltwater. 

1 minute ago, Skull diver said:

Exactly! Beach Pitch is just a copy of P12 (and P12 is the program I use a bit modified).

Here I'm comparing The Mono program with P12.

Problem is...The same of almost all of other programs.

Unusable underwater in saltwater. 

Mono programs are not even a consideration on a wet salt beach. Not sure why you are surprised or disappointed? 

47 minutes ago, midalake said:

why you are surprised or disappointed? 

Well, on obvious/commons/decently sized targets any program can do the work with good depth.

It is really different on thin/broken/small bits of chains/bracelets or rings.

Just try any piece of tiny gold with an air test in mono and P12 after...You'll realize what I mean.

I'm searching the same spot since a month ago, exactly the same place where I found a few pieces.

Today, for the sixth time I found another crucifix just pushing the settings to a limit.

There must be a way to use the full damn power available.

Difficult to explain but 90 sens. In a program, it is not the same in another.

By the way, that's just my 2 cents.