Misadventures In Baja, Nov 2023

Condor

Been going to Baja for many years exploring, fishing, diving and prospecting. I've always lived lived by three rules once I cross the border; 

*Always treat the Mexicans with respect and dignity.

*Don't invest in anything down there that doesn't  have wheels under it and........

*Don't don't bring anything along you can't afford to lose.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oldmancoyote1 said:

I have spent many winter months in Baja California del Sur exploring and living on the beach.  This was before I began metal detecting.   I'd like to try it some day, but I am concerned about having my equipment confiscated or stolen.  Do you have any comments on this?

thanks

If you read some of my previous Baja misadventures, you'll find we've encountered a number of hazards with theft and police grift.  Those are always possible whether you're a regular beach tourist or a prospector.  We've not had trouble with prospecting per se, there is no local presence of a regulatory agency, but it's always possible.

• Like 1

.Day 1 continued

Dennis and I hiked several miles up a side canyon to an area that had produced a lot of small gold in the past.  I worked the canyon floor for newly exposed bedrock.  Unfortunately, it was all barren.  I found 1 nugget maybe 1 gram for all that walking.  Dennis worked old drywash piles for nothing but trash targets, but he had already found those nice nuggets first thing in the morning, so he was less disappointed.  We hiked back out to the RZR where Kevin and been working the main wash to find he had scored his first nugget not 10 ft from where we parked.  He ended up with 3 nice nuggets totaling about 6 grams.  I was way behind in scoring decent gold.  We called it day and went back to camp for some refreshment.  

Day 2 of detecting, day 3 of the trip.

There were 2 more side canyons way upstream that I wanted to detect.  Dennis decided to work bedrock closer to camp, so I hiked upstream alone.  These side canyons just did not see the amount of flooding that I expected.  I saw 2 water bottles that someone had left behind from last year and they had traveled not 10 ft from the spot I saw them last January.  I found 2 small nuggets before my minor disaster.  I thought I might take a short-cut to the main canyon and work the bedrock back to the RZR.  I forgot how steep it was to the bottom but I didn't want to backtrack another 1/2 mile to take the easy route.  Poor choice as it turns out.  I was halfway down and stepped on a big flat rock that pivoted just enough to twist my left knee.  My 69 year old frame just can't take those sprains like I used to.  The only good thing is that I had packed my trekking poles in the pack.  I sat down and strapped my collapsed down GPX6000 to the pack and inched my way down using the poles to help support my bum knee.  I had a 3/4 mile hike back to the RZR and it seemed like a death march.  I was constantly eyeing the terrain so as not to hit any areas of climbing or soft gravel.  I took a few breaks but getting up and down was more difficult than to keep walking.  I had a packet of Ibuprofen in the RZR and downed a couple before driving back down the canyon. Wouldn't you know that the last obstacle with the tree trunks kicked out and I had to get out and restack the whole mess to get back to camp.  I later wrapped my knee with vet wrap and downed some Flexeril then chased it with iced wine.  Stiff and painful to walk, but not bad.  The iced wine helped.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

Steve,

I’m thinking they have a Metal Detecting Video Game…it might just show up under your Christmas Tree this year 😂.  I’m sure you earned a couple Nuggets being the Camp Cook.  All kidding aside Speedy recovery.  See ya soon!

Rick

• Haha 1