I Hear A Difference

mn90403

A couple of months back I decided to look into hearing aids again.  As it turns out I had done this as an 'exercise' about 7 years ago with a hearing test, but the test didn't cause me to be fitted with aids.  This time I got tested and fitted.

The aids that I chose to try required a hearing test and then based upon the hearing test they would be programmed.  The style that was suggested to me was a behind the ear model by Horizon.  It requires a wire to an earpiece.  It really was not that noticeable with my big ears, and I had a 45-day trial period.  These aids after insurance are a bit more than an Axiom!

The programs for them are interesting which include tinnitus, noisy room, echo room and universal to name a few.  It is controlled by my phone program on my android smart phone and can also be used with Bluetooth controls which allow you to take phone calls.  I found that feature to be a bit distracting as I only wanted to hear better.  They did make me hear better and I used them a couple of times with the external speaker on my 800.  One night I forgot my headphones and went to the beach but that was just too much noise.  I've been a headphone guy for many years, and I've had volume control and additional power on my GPZ with the Sp01 and B&Z Booster.  Prior to my GPZ I used noise cancelling headphones with my 5000 that had a volume control that was direct wired to my headphones.  I really didn't think I was missing much but I didn't compare much either.

Lately I was beginning to sense the volume I required was quite a lot on my headphones and I was also asking some of my friends to repeat things.  It was time to find out more, so I got these aids.  They were good but I developed a problem with them because they wouldn't stay seated in my ear canals.  I was constantly pushing them back into my ears for maximum benefit.  Each time I would take my reading and sunglasses off it would cause them to loosen.  I'm remembering I did put my headphones for the 800 over the aids a couple of times but it was a bit uncomfortable.  Nothing remarkable comes to mind if I did or didn't leave them in.

I informed hear.com that I didn't want to keep those aids because of my lifestyle.  My contract was voided.  They suggested I get another pair that would fit completely inside the ear.  I ordered Signia aids this time and when they arrived, they were programmed in the same way.  These aids fit better.  

Now that I had an in the ear aid, I wanted to try them out with my detector.  That was about 10 days ago, and I should have written this piece then as I've forgotten some of the things, but it is simply remarkable what these aids do to both of my detectors.  My 800 was the first one to use on the beach and all I can say is that EVERY signal sounds different.  I use 50 tones most of the time and for years I've known the sounds of my targets and ground.  I've found a lot of stuff but now I've been introduced to sound enhancements and programmed frequencies I could not hear.  My brain now has new information.  My first reaction was 'what have I been missing' all of these years!  A nickel doesn't sound like a nickel.  Quarters are higher pitched than they were before.  There is a new chatter in the swing.  Sounds that don't register on the digital scale can be heard.  I'm just totally blown away.

I've been several times to the beach recently in tough conditions, but I can hear things deeper, farther off the coil and with more detail.  I'm a big fan of the 15" coil on the beach at a sensitivity of 23 but the last time out I got the feeling that it was too much information coming in and had to take it down to 22 or 21.  Who knew after all of these years I was missing all of this information?

Some of my initial thoughts were that EVERYONE should get tested and wear aids.  This could be better than getting a new detector.  Dealers should offer 'in the ear' amplifiers which will give anyone a better chance.  This is more than just an increase in volume.  It is a substantial increase in information coming back from your detector and coil.

I just had to go out and detect the desert for nuggets.  I don't think I will ever detect without hearing aids in in the future.  I've been out a couple of times and found small gold with the GPZ and the 800.  These were limited tests, but I found gold that was in the .2g range both times within 15 minutes of starting the day.  The total is 7 little nuggets for about 2g.  I could hear the subtle variations that I know I had been missing.  I think now I understand what Kevin Hoagland and others told me for years about the subtle break in threshold in a way I was incapable of before.  My mind is definitely not occupied with thoughts of 'what am I missing?'

The clues I can hear with the aids are more distinct than without.  I still have the Sp01 powering the headphones on the GPZ and use the WM12, but I hear more of the nugget.  I'm anxious to get back out on patches and find more MISSED nuggets.  I know my old setup left missed gold and not just unseen gold.  I may actually find gold that others have missed because of my equipment and what I CAN hear!

At least I can hear a big difference with good hearing aids.

Anyone who is having any sort of hearing diminishment should give themselves a chance to get back into life by having their hearing tested. It is just amazing how resistant most people are to taking that small step  and because of that, are missing out on much more than just gold signals in life. I am happy for you mn90403, you are getting a large part of your life back…as well as gold in the ground. Good decision.

Hello Klunker

I am willing to bet you a new pair of glasses that you will thank yourself for your decision to get your HEARING checked. 

Very informative review of the hearing aids and yourself. Equinox or Manticore GAIN of 23 on saltwater Beach, I could never imagine.....just to much Chatter and Falsing.  I do know beaches vary to a degree, but my experience tops out around 19/20.  Actually, just yesterday in the Cancun water, I had to drop to 15 from my usual 16/17 SENS setting. 

Yes I think you were missing targets for the last few years and now you're on a new level. 

Not only are you hearing more, but your thinking and positive attitude is another Win. So many people don't realize the importance of proper Mindset when chasing the deepest and weakest of target signals. 

Thanks for sharing my friend and wishing you Success. 

I also "bit the bullet" and took a hearing test and purchased some hearing aids. I really like them(although very pricey.} Along with detecting  I found them very useful in archery hunting this year, They have a universal mode, a tv mode, a noisy environment mode, and my favorite..an outdoor sports mode that totally eliminates any wind noise. I control which mode and volume from my phone.  I can answer phone calls with them also but never use that feature.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:03 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Yes I think you were missing targets for the last few years and now you're on a new level. 

It is like having a new detector that goes 40% DEEPER!  haha

21 hours ago, Zaj56 said:

I also "bit the bullet" and took a hearing test and purchased some hearing aids. I really like them(although very pricey.} Along with detecting  I found them very useful in archery hunting this year, They have a universal mode, a tv mode, a noisy environment mode, and my favorite..an outdoor sports mode that totally eliminates any wind noise. I control which mode and volume from my phone.  I can answer phone calls with them also but never use that feature.

I'm still not done with my purchase of these aids.  I like your options including the sports mode.  What brand?

I've got a fitting scheduled for Costco that may put me on to one of their less expensive pairs but I hadn't considered the different 'apps' like you are talking about.  Now that could really open up the options.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I've got a fitting scheduled for Costco

Costco has great hearing aids (Kirkland), and they do most of what you are asking about.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I'm still not done with my purchase of these aids.  I like your options including the sports mode.  What brand?

I've got a fitting scheduled for Costco that may put me on to one of their less expensive pairs but I hadn't considered the different 'apps' like you are talking about.  Now that could really open up the options.

Mine are Miracle Ear