When Your Wife Tells You To Go Detecting, Just Go!

Fantastic CPT.  It's fun to be surprised even after the hunt is over, and gold to boot. Congrats!

Those Chinese Panda Gold Bullion Coins are popular for gold investment and as jewelry pieces like yours.  Even though its chewed up, the spot melt price is just over $200 today for that 0.1 oz coin.  So great start to 2024.

• Thanks 1

Great find, CPT!  I think that 10 below the Panda stands for 10 Yuan and for a 1986 date that means it contains 0.1 ozt of gold.  If the bezel is gold alloy, then the gold content found goes up some more.  Have you put it on a scale yet?

Encouraging, understanding spouses are the best kind.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think that 10 below the Panda stands for 10 Yuan and for a 1986 date that means it contains 0.1 ozt of gold.

Correct, it also says 1/10 oz on the coin which helps avoid having to do the math, too.  Not being good at math, I cheated and that's how I came up with 0.1 oz in my previous post.  :laugh:

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If the bezel is gold alloy, then the gold content found goes up some more.

That would be great, but it looks from the photos to be gold plated brass or some other low value base metal.  Also, the 87 TID might indicate copper or brass base, as well. Let's see what CPT comes up with.  Nevertheless, gold coin pendant is a great find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well there ya go, Cap. 🏆 Congratulations on a great find.

Opportunity and hunches often produce the best results.

So what are your initial impressions on the 13"?

• Thanks 1

Good digging CPT! Maybe it's just me because since I was a teenager I have had a habit of wearing  objects that I have found.That gold Panda coin would now be hanging around my neck.Hey there's a thought you could go into your stash and pull out one of your better gold or silver chains and make a bracelet or necklace for your wife for encouraging you to go ahead and get out there and detect!

• Thanks 1